Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a base model 2007 G6 V6. It has approximately 72000 miles on it. A little while ago I started noticing grinding and vibration when steering. It has gotten a lot worse. The noise is very loud and seems to be purely at the front end. The power steering fluid is fine. The brakes were changed not that long ago. I have never had any locking up issues like I have read about in the 05s. I am thinking possibly rack and pinion but I dont want to go replacing a bunch of stuff if it isnt gonna fix it! It does need new tires and the alignment is terrible but this problem is only when steering!Wondering if anyone else had this problem or has ideas?
As a side note it is also idling really rough and seems to be misfiring, as well as a recent addition of transmission slipping somewhat. Ack!

·
Registered
295 Posts
89Ashes,

I’m sorry you are experiencing these issues with your vehicle. In regards to the steering noise, the power steering system may need to be bled. Misfires and/or rough idle may be valve related. These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis.

I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
44 Posts
In the continuing saga that is my G6 GT (71000 miles), I just had the rack replaced under warranty. The dealer heard a bunch of squeaking and felt stiffness in the steering. The steering has always been that way for me in this car so I thought it was normal. Diagnosis was bad rack and pinion. Not sure why they didn't notice a month or so ago when they did the intermediate shaft, but such is life.

Once i got the car back, the difference was amazing. Much lighter steering but still on point with lots of road feel. It felt like a totally different car. I was over steering at first because it was so much easier to drive. I have gotten used to it now though.

Price at dealer, Parts $650 ($550 after core return) Labor $325. Yes, nearly a grand. I am sure I am on the warranty company's s**t list. Unless your car is covered, hope it isn't the rack!

On a side note, they gave me a 2012 LaCrosse with eco boost for two days. I hate to admit this, but that car is amazing. Not so much sporty, but a very nice highway cruiser.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 pontiac g6 steering wheel noise

:) My mom has a 2007 g6 it has only 15,600 miles on it. Now we are hearing a slight thump noise when turning the wheel. It was heard a little since we have the car, but didnt think anything of it. Mentioned it to dealer once, but did not see a problem. The car runs great and there are no problems otherwise. What is this noise and is it a safety problem waiting to happen? Have seen complaints online that people have tried to fix it and it comes back. Shouldn't here be a recall on this?? Please advise. Please do not drink and drive!:

·
Registered
295 Posts
prsantilli,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. This issue may be related to a slip/stick condition between the inner and outer components of the intermediate shaft. This is just a suggestion, it is not meant as a diagnosis. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They should be able to offer more information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

·
G6breez2
2 Posts
Fix my g6

In the continuing saga that is my G6 GT (71000 miles), I just had the rack replaced under warranty. The dealer heard a bunch of squeaking and felt stiffness in the steering. The steering has always been that way for me in this car so I thought it was normal. Diagnosis was bad rack and pinion. Not sure why they didn't notice a month or so ago when they did the intermediate shaft, but such is life.

Once i got the car back, the difference was amazing. Much lighter steering but still on point with lots of road feel. It felt like a totally different car. I was over steering at first because it was so much easier to drive. I have gotten used to it now though.

Price at dealer, Parts $650 ($550 after core return) Labor $325. Yes, nearly a grand. I am sure I am on the warranty company's s**t list. Unless your car is covered, hope it isn't the rack!

On a side note, they gave me a 2012 LaCrosse with eco boost for two days. I hate to admit this, but that car is amazing. Not so much sporty, but a very nice highway cruiser.
Have u had power steering problems or know of any one who has I have the 4cylinder mines has no resivior for fluid electronic pump on steering Collum me and wife share car for work, please give me any info it's all badd right now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts