Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue prior to having the power steering recall repaired. I took my wife's 2005 g6 in a week ago to have the most recent 3 recalls dealt with and once I picked it up and was heading home I began to notice that the steering was rather loose and jerky. I would be going along between 80 and 90km and if I was going around a corner I would turn the wheel and it would turn and then all of a sudden have a slight jerk in the direction I was turning. Also I find that when there is a grade to the sides of the road or would pull quite a bit in the direction of the slope. I took it back to the dealership and they claim it has nothing to do with the work that they did and they reprogrammed the module that they changed and did nor change anything.
All the help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sloppy steering

I am glad to see someone else with this issue. We just had the power steering recall done on our daughters car fixed last week and noticed the steering was real sloppy when we got the car back. It will be fine going down the road then all of a sudden if you moved the steering wheel to make a curve it would get real sloppy and not easy to control. This happened to my daughter Tuesday morning she went to make a slight curve to the right and her car vered to the left into the path of an oncoming vehicle going about 60 mph and totaled her car. Her and the driver of the vehicle only received minor and moderate injuries. I contacted dealership about this issue after driving it home from having recall done. But before we could get it back to dealership she totaled the car. I feel this is a big issue that needs to be addressed. Something is wrong with the power steering on these cars the issue could of cost us our daughters life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sloppy steering after recall was repaired

Thank god your daughter is OK but it is interesting to hear that it isn't just me I haven't driven it in a couple days but am taking it to a mechanic tomorrow to see what he thinks if it turns out to be something else I will post it on here but I truly think that it is directly related to the work that was done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have problem with my 2006 g6 gtp convertible the power steering reservoir gets hot is it suppose to do that when i bleed the power steering

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 2008 G6 with electronic steering and getting ready to set up a appointment to get my recall done. After seeing the issues here I might have to ask the dealer some questions before having it done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I am just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue prior to having the power steering recall repaired. I took my wife's 2005 g6 in a week ago to have the most recent 3 recalls dealt with and once I picked it up and was heading home I began to notice that the steering was rather loose and jerky. I would be going along between 80 and 90km and if I was going around a corner I would turn the wheel and it would turn and then all of a sudden have a slight jerk in the direction I was turning. Also I find that when there is a grade to the sides of the road or would pull quite a bit in the direction of the slope. I took it back to the dealership and they claim it has nothing to do with the work that they did and they reprogrammed the module that they changed and did nor change anything.
All the help is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 05 in Sept. of 2011 with 80,000m. The steering was a little loose and "clunky" The electric rack and pinion was shot. I got one for about $200 and $200 for install and alignment. Perfect ever since. My mechanic says he's seen this a lot on GM's with electric power steering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey so after I took it to the dealership I figured I would take a look further into it so I took the front tires off and was changing the driver side wheel bearing and also had to change the sway link on that side which did fix some of the sloppiness however now that we have snow I have been noticing that when one tire is on a slippery surface and the other is on dry it will still jerk to the left or right so I'm thinking it may be out of alignment so I am actually taking our in today for one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, I had the power steering recall done on my 08 g6. No problems at all. In fact, before I had the work done the steering had a pop sound when turning. Thinking it was a tie rod but after the recall work it's gone and working great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts