Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07 3.5 LZ4 Over the past few months every once in a while when i accelerate from a stop it seems like my car seems like its not getting gas, unless I floor it then it kicks in. Yesterday was the worst its been. It did it a few times, and one of those times it let out a few backfires, or popping sound from engine.

Just recently claned throttle body and MAF. Almost feels like a timing problem. could it possibly be a coil pack going out? any thoughts are appreciated.

205 Posts
I don't think I've had backfire..yet. But acceleration lag yes. Once I've used the car throughout the day it goes away. Just has bad acceleration from a cold start. Is yours constantly laggy?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah I scanned it no codes.
....So friday evening I pulled the MAP sensor to see what it looks like, and the grommet looked a little worn so I fuguerd for 50 buck I'll change it and see what happens. Right off the bat I noticed it cleaned up my idle, and alot better throttle response. Plus I had a little over a quarter tank of gas and was driving on the streets and my MPG actually went up, Which never happens in that situation. I also used to notice that when my car shift gears and settles into the next gear it used to have a little shutter, but that gone now too. I dont know if this was the answer to this problem (only time will tell since it was intermitent) but it was definitly worth the 50 bucks to have my car running alot better.
:beer: Thanks for the replies, I should be able to tell in the next couple days if this solved my problem.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
07, G6, 3.5l, mileage unk
intermittent hesitation under load with occassional backfire
Steps taken: cleaned MAF sensor & TB, replaced MAP

Intermittents are such good fun!

A couple causes of intermittent backfire that often would not pop a code in the early stages of failure:

-a lean misfire due to intermittently low fuel pressure caused by a failing fuel pump (verify pressure with a pressure gauge taped to the windshield)
-intermittent problem somewhere in the secondary ignition circuit producing low voltage & poor or no spark (tough to find problem when it presents only briefly)

much less likely:
dead spot in the throttle position sensor response-normally would pop a code if the two TP sensors disagreed for more than 2 seconds

I don't have a lot of confidence that it was a bad MAP sensor but anything is possible. Eventually you are going to at least get some misfire codes which may help track it down. If you had access to a scan tool you could see if the misfire counts were adding up & on which cylinders.

·
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies Im at 90000 miles. And it's not constant usually it's been doing it after I've been driving it for 30 mins.

She started acting up again, so I went home set up the dashhawk and went for a test drive. And wouldn't you know it. Multiple misfires in all cylinders.:mad:

Damn I hope it's not a fuel pump. ...Isn't it weird that. No CEL would come up, especially with that many misfires? Any chance that the coil packs going out, Or would It just be one cylinder going out and misfiring? I was also able to monitor the TPS and that didn't look like it was doing anything out of the ordinary. But I guess nexts step if monitoring fuel pressure. I'll have to hook up my gauge this weekend. :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I believe the V6 is setup with 3 coilpacks, Each handling two cylinders. Since you're getting misfires on all cylinders It makes me think it's the ignition control module which on older V6s is under the coilpacks, I don't think these newer cars have that, it's all in the PCM. I could be wrong.

How old are your plugs and wires? Maybe you have arching between wires causing misfires. Or maybe all the coilpacks are going, but that seems unlikely.

·
4,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
wll after driving to work i noticed that the misfiring is happening when shifting gears, both upshift and down. And that the number 3 cyl is racking up the most misfires with #4 close behind. I guess its time to do some research.

oh did plugs and wires about two years and 40000 miles ago, and it looks like one coil pack for all cylinders

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
wll after driving to work i noticed that the misfiring is happening when shifting gears, both upshift and down. And that the number 3 cyl is racking up the most misfires with #4 close behind.
3 & 4 are powered by different coils so that likely eliminates the coil pack as the culprit

The coil pack has 3 coils which serve 1&4, 2&5 & 3&6.

Is it just 3&4 that are misfiring?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yeah it comes on at start up.
If the CEL is not lit there will be no active misfire codes set. So (I'm guessing) that dashhawk must be showing the actual per cylinder misfire counts. A misfire code won't be set until a threshold number of misfires occur in a given time period.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I wonder if a compression test would be in order? How does your coolant and oil look?
Reason I ask is because cylinders 3 and 4 are both center the center cylinders...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts