Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Slyvania silverstar

6K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  reginaalear 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble seeing with my headlights on dim. I must use the brights to see good enough to drive safely. I can't afford any angle eyes or anything right now so I was looking at the sylvania silverstar bulbs. Are these good cheap alternatives? I had my lights adjusted once by the dealer & it was better but still not good. I have an appt to take it in tomorrow and they are going to check the wires to the lights which they should of done last time when it was under factory warranty. Now all I have is extended warranty through gmpp major guard and they said their not sure if it will cover it. Also how hard is it to replace the bulbs? They will do it for $30 but with the price of bulbs it will be $70. Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Thanks. Do you know where I could find them? I need something brighter for sure. Also do you know if I can replace the low beams without replacing the high beams and fogs?

#4 ·
You probably have some dying bulbs or crappy ones put in. Either get the Sylvania and install them yourself if you don't want to go through the hassle of installing a HID kit, or go with an HID kit which will promise a lighting improvement although installing it can be a pain if you are a novice.

Installing the bulbs is easy. The hard part is removing the headlight assembly from the car.

#7 ·
If you're going to spend the $$ on silverstars, you should spend the extra 15 bucks on a set of DDM HIDs. Silverstars burn out very fast, like within a year fast... HIDs will last a few years before issues arrive.

#12 ·
Yeah all the other lights work fine. I just got back from the dealer and they said that all of my wires is fine. I showed them a picture of my headlights on at night since they can never see them. The tech manager said yeah I see the problem with them, they go out so far then cut off. The mechanic said he adjusted them to the last setting he can. He also said that he pulled a G6 in beside mine and adjusted the headlights on mine to match the other one so I hope it's fixed. A lady who works there told me that her daughter is new to driving and can't see without bright lights, but that she can. I told her I could see that being my problem but I've been driving for 14 years and others can't see with mine either. My mother almost drove it in a ditch thinking it was a drive way because it was so bad.

#13 ·
If it's not fixed, just put some wicked HID's in there.

#14 ·
That's what I'm planning on doing either way once I get some money saved up. :D Where's a good place to get them? I'll have to find someone to put them in for me because I know nothing about working on them and my husband isn't the best at it. ;) I'm hoping for now they're fixed so I can see until I get the money saved up.

#16 ·
I just want to share some before & after pictures of my headlight adventure.
Original headlight setting:

after 1st adjustment:

After today's adjustment:

Sorry for so many pics. Please tell me which one looks right or closest to being right. All of the pictures are with the lights on dim. I have no trouble with them on bright just dim. Thanks for any input.:D

#17 ·
3rd looks brighter, but 2nd looks like it covers more ground

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

#18 ·
I think the second one looks the best. You might out drive the headlights if you leave them where you have currently at higher speeds.

#19 ·
I thought the second one would be better but when I drove with them it looked like they were all over the place. I'm really hoping it will be better now, but I haven't tried them yet. The mechanic who adjusted them said that he pulled in another G6 and lined my lights up with it so he said it should be right now. Do you all know which one looks most like other g6's with factory bulbs? Thanks so much for all of the help.

#20 ·
All three pictures have the beams aimed down too low. 2nd is bearable, but still needs to be raised.

Just go aim them yourself. Just pop your hood at night and use an allen key to turn the metal rod sticking out of the headlight. One direction moves the beam up, the other down.

#21 ·
I finally got my silverstar bulbs put in today. I can't wait to try them out tonight. I only have one complaint. My bumper was a after market or something because it has paint runs in it that I didn't notice until after buying the car. Well when they put the headlights back in it they didn't get them exactly where they were before so you can see the non painted area a little. Also when you push on the bumper around the headlight you can hear the cheap plastic sound now. I know I'm probably just nit picking but I think I'll save up for a good oem bumper. I wish I would of known it was wrecked before I bought it and I would of got a different one. I'm excited to try out my new bulbs though. I'm also going to try to get some halos or angel eyes to put in my new bumper when I get it.

#22 ·
Consider yourself lucky. My car's trunk and spoiler was replaced by a previous owner with aftermarket parts. That's not the bad part though. The painter did a horrible job because the clear coat started peeling 2 years after I got the car. Easy $500 bill.

#24 ·
I had never thought about that, but I bet it is. I know the lights don't sit in it perfectly like it should. It's not enough for anyone to really notice unless I point it out but it drives me crazy. If I would of know I would of got the red one instead. I found a Oem bumper the same color as my car that I'm hoping to get. It's $300 with shipping I just have to find out how much it cost to get it put on.

#25 ·
Regina,

I wonder if your G6 may have had some some front end damage causing the replacement bumper, and because of that the geometry for your headlights is changed from normal. Your photos earlier in the thread definitely look like the beams are aimed WAY too low. My 09 G6 has fine low-beam headlights for driving, and I swear the high-beams are the brightest headlights I've ever had in a car. I can't imagine driving with my high-beams on with other traffic nearby or I'd blind them. And these are the factory bulbs.

Jeff

#26 · (Edited)
I finally tried out my headlights tonight with the silverstar bulbs. I was actually able to see without even using my bright lights. I even had two deer run out in front of me and I could see them. Now the only thing I'm confused about is that my headlights shine on the side of my car on both sides as well as in front of me almost like in sections, if that makes any sense. Almost like there's a little divider down the middle of the bulbs. I don't know if it's just the adjustment or I this is normal for the g6. Is anyone elses like this? Also if it did affect the headlights, any idea what it might have done to them? Thanks so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.