Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
I had my radiator replaced about a year ago as it was very slowly leaking coolant according to the mechanic. While I'm not driving the car often these days, I notice after I drive to work or home from work (~25 miles), the car smells like it's burning coolant. Antifreeze has a peculiar odor and that's what I'm smelling.

This has been happening for months and the overflow tank hasn't dropped at all, there are no spots under the car after it's been sitting, and the temp gauge just barely nudges past the half way mark when warmed up. Needless to say I'm stumped so I thought I would post here and ask if anyone else has experienced this. Could it be the new radiator just smells? Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm thinking you may have a small leak at the cross over pipe/gasket. That temperature seems off as well, it should be significantly past half way on the gauge.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Temp should settle around 195-200F or so. His gauge may read 200 at the midway mark instead of 225. For cars with 225 at the midway mark it'll be at the tick just below. It definitely shouldn't be "significantly" past half way though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey gang,
I had my radiator replaced about a year ago as it was very slowly leaking coolant according to the mechanic. While I'm not driving the car often these days, I notice after I drive to work or home from work (~25 miles), the car smells like it's burning coolant. Antifreeze has a peculiar odor and that's what I'm smelling.

This has been happening for months and the overflow tank hasn't dropped at all, there are no spots under the car after it's been sitting, and the temp gauge just barely nudges past the half way mark when warmed up. Needless to say I'm stumped so I thought I would post here and ask if anyone else has experienced this. Could it be the new radiator just smells? Thanks!
Sounds like the dreaded crossover gaskets problem. Been there done it to my G6.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's a classical problem with the G6's. There are crossover pipes the coolant runs thru. There is 1 gasket on each pipe. They fail a lot. You can read a many posts on this site about this problem. I did the job myself. Not that bad of a job. Just time consuming removing stuff to get to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts