Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to "smoke" my G6 Sedans's taillights and i want a shiny appearance to them, not that flat-black crap. Anybody done this?

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
i put vht nightshade on mine then put like 3 coats of clear and they came out really nice

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not that everyone cares but, I was told that smoked out tail lights were illegal in some states? So be careful!!! And I was told that its illegal here at home too.....Ontario, Canada!?........Legally, I could be wrong!

BTW, they do look great!

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
its only illegal if you cant see red when they are light up. so you should be alright i did three coats on me and no problems.

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
As far as I know. I mean if you get pulled over and the cop wants to be a dick then he might say something about it. But I was told that as long as you can see red when the lights are on and when the brakes are being applied then its fine.

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Depends where you live. Some states require a distance of so many feet away that you have to be able to see the red.

Mine are pretty dark, and i've never had a problem.

And if you want it shiny, just use a lot of clearcoat on top of the vht..

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not that everyone cares but, I was told that smoked out tail lights were illegal in some states? So be careful!!! And I was told that its illegal here at home too.....Ontario, Canada!?........Legally, I could be wrong!

BTW, they do look great!
i dont see how it can be illegal, some cars come stock with smoked tail lights, either the mazda 3 or 6 seems to ring a bell for coming stock with tinted tails.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well yes that is true! Some cars do come stock with smoked lights like Mazda's and some 3rd gen Firebird's, such as my 87 GTA! But keep in mind that cops do hate us "Tuners", and could, and will pick on some of us.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Plus, keep in mind that when these stock smoked tail lights are made, the plastic itself is smoked just enough to pass any laws and standards required. We, who are spraying VHT onto our tail lights are adding a coat of transparent paint onto the lights, which is modifing stock equipment/part. Which is where the law can be a pain in the ass for some of us.

My STOCK GTA tail lights look blacked out during the day, until I step onto the brake pedel. At night the red lights shine through clearly and are visable from a great distance without even steping on the brakes. This is where the plastic technology comes in! It allows light to shine/glow out, and yet blocks out the sun light.(Just my theory/opinion!)

Now, I've seen the VHT sprayed tail lights, and they ARE dark/blacked out day or night, and if too thick(coats), will not allow enough light to shine/glow out to be seen regardless of distance!

So how much light is needed to be seen????????? Ah! thats the problem! Based on opinion of a Cop!

·
Registered
66 Posts
So, basically its up to the person who is doing the spraying, not to OVER do it! Don't be dumb or cool, and not be silly with the amount of coats used on the lights!

Grab something that is clear plastic and practise on it before spraying your tail lights. This way if you mess up and get it wrong(too thick, uneven, fish eyes, runs), it wont cost your lights.....just a thought!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depends where you live. Some states require a distance of so many feet away that you have to be able to see the red.

Mine are pretty dark, and i've never had a problem.

And if you want it shiny, just use a lot of clearcoat on top of the vht..
I never used clear coat and mine look shiny..:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
a lifelong friends family owns a customizing/performance shop and i work there on the weekends and here is how i was tought to smoke tail lights. get some saran (sp) wrap and wrap it around your taillights. then practice spraying on the light with the wrap on there that way if you mess up and go too dark you know when to stop when it comes time to spray the light itself. and ive never used clear coat and they always come out shiney... i might test out the clear coat and see if it looks better. here is a pic of mine.

oh and if by the odd chance any of you guys live in texas, the state law here is the lights have to be visible from 100ft otherwise theyre illegal. but if you smoke your lights, just get some leds from your local autozone and that should fix the problem and leave no doubt for those cops that like to give us a hard time. ive never had any problems with mine, or the car before this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
on some ppls lights we would use window tint, but that was rare. we used some stuff called VHT Nite Shades Tint Spray. It worked really well.

·
G6 mafia
67 Posts
yeop vht works very well i wet sanded my tails with 1000 grit sprayed few layers to my desire of how dark i wanted then i wet sanded again over it with 1400 grit and took it to a shop to get sprayed with clear coat...came out nice and has a nice shiny black to it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts