Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 2005 g6 base model

finally got two of those horrible tires replaced with goodyears... when they were rotating them i checked out my rotors... front ones = fine, rear ones = grooved... how the heck do rear rotors get grooved and front rotors stay fine? i want to look into some slotted rotors, because i suspect i'm suffering from some rotor warp as well...

gas gauge - it has no clue how much gas i have, and i, as a result, have no clue how much gas i have... the first ride to/from work takes 3/8ths tank, second ride to/from work takes 1/4 tank, i don't chance it on a 3rd... car takes 14 gallons of gas when gas gauge is laying on E... thought this thing had a 16 gallon tank?

are my fog lights on? i don't know... couldn't tell you, because the light in the button is out

oooooooo i've got a 6-disc CD changer... listen to it cause it sounds grBEEP.................. BEEP................. BEEP................ BEEP............ cd changer error? wha? HOLY CRAP THAT THING'S HOT! ACK MY CD'S ARE MALEABLE WHAT'S GOING ON! in short, anytime it's cold out and i run the heater for an hour or so, the cd player completely ceases functioning *can only listen to radio* and it gives me this horribly annoying beep every 8 seconds or so... turning the vehicle off, removing the key, walking away, and swearing at the vehicle do NOT make the beeping stop... leaving the car alone for 20 minutes will

hey hey... honda sitting next to me... revving his engine... i'll show him! ROMP ON THE GAS... WOOOO HERE COMES SECOND GEA... SQUEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! what the? serpentine belt SCREAMS at me over 4500rpm or so... not necessarily while racing hondas *which i actually don't do... the above is for entertainment purposes, ahem* or while heavy on the gas, but anytime the rpm's go above 4500 or so it shrieks at me and makes me sad

clips on my rear ground effect and front spoiler *that's what that thing is, isn't it?* are missing... bah

on the bright side... i've had the thing for about 10 months and i've got almost 30,000 miles on it, and it's running like a champ... i just don't have any freakin time to drop it off and get this annoying stuff fixed

so... the reason i'm posting this is... where can i get a set of slotted *or upgraded or whatever'd* rotors for this thing, and how much can/should i expect to pay for them? i already put a k&n air filter in, and i can feel the difference *if there's anything you want in the snow, it's more power, eh? duh*... i'd also like to get a nice set of floor mats *salesman told me i'd get them, should've known...* but i can't find anything for the g6 or even just pontiac branded... i'd also eventually like to upgrade the ignition system on the thing and possibly do a dual-exhaust conversion... you need to forgive me, my last car was a 1968 camaro with a 327, 3" dual exhaust with an H-pipe, and a locked 3:73 rear

i'd also like to see what i can do to improve the mpg on this beast... i drive 120 miles total to-from work, most of it is on the turnpike, and i can't seem to get my mpg up past 29... pussy-footing it doesn't help... drafting on trucks will, but, no

yeah, i'm using you all as a bunch of internet shortcuts because i'm no good at google

anyways... nifty site you guys have here... looking forward to any suggestions/sympathies/flaming, and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Unless you hands down bash the G6, most people won't get on your case, usually.

Many people experience problems with their G6 here as well, and talk about it, so no worries. I dont know much about the issues you are having as Im not that mechanical, but someone else will surely pipe in.

Welcome.

·
Registered
423 Posts
WELCOME! yep, sounds like you have all the makings of a G6!!! i think every one of your issues has been addressed at one time or another on this forum. with you car at the 30k mark, i would MAKE time to get in in to your Dealer and get those items fixed. NOW, go NOW i said!!! don't let GM off the hook!!

as for the brakes, buy yourself some time by allowing them to be replaced under warranty (the rotors, as the pads are considered a 'wearable item' and i doubt would be covered, so you MAY have to pay for the pads themselves). i've been searching for some A/M (aftermarket) rotors for a while and have found no applications for the G6, YET! if they're not out there now, i'm sure they wiil be soon.

its great to hear that in spite of all the problems you have had, you still like your car. its kind of like me. while i have had really only one issue (steering lock up twice) in 15,000 miles, i'm very happy with it and love to drive it, even in the snow.

again, welcome to the forum. we promise not to pick on the 'newby' too much!! ha ha ha :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome!! You are not alone in your issues. I've had some of the same and if I haven't had them, then someone else has. Good luck and you'll be able to find a lot of good information here. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
gobo said:
got a 2005 g6 base model

finally got two of those horrible tires replaced with goodyears... when they were rotating them i checked out my rotors... front ones = fine, rear ones = grooved... how the heck do rear rotors get grooved and front rotors stay fine? i want to look into some slotted rotors, because i suspect i'm suffering from some rotor warp as well...
eww.. I have known for a long time now that my rotors are warped. I know the Grand Am suffered from this as well..so I chalk it up to a cheap design. I am waiting with you for a rotor upgrade.

gas gauge - it has no clue how much gas i have, and i, as a result, have no clue how much gas i have... the first ride to/from work takes 3/8ths tank, second ride to/from work takes 1/4 tank, i don't chance it on a 3rd... car takes 14 gallons of gas when gas gauge is laying on E... thought this thing had a 16 gallon tank?
Sadly I have come to the conclusion that the car estimates how much gas you have left. Mine does the same thing...I can fill it up and a few minutes later it claims i have half a tank.. then the next morning (after not driving) I will go a few blocks from my house and the low fuel light will kick on and chime. No idea man. :(

are my fog lights on? i don't know... couldn't tell you, because the light in the button is out
New one to me..I would just chalk that up to a burnt LED (which does happen sadly) and have it replaced under warranty.

error? wha? HOLY CRAP THAT THING'S HOT! ACK MY CD'S ARE MALEABLE WHAT'S GOING ON! in short, anytime it's cold out and i run the heater for an hour or so, the cd player completely ceases functioning *can only listen to radio* and it gives me this horribly annoying beep every 8 seconds or so...
Need to get your CD changer replaced :( I am on my second one which has started to do the same thing again. :(

hey hey... honda sitting next to me... revving his engine... i'll show him! ROMP ON THE GAS... WOOOO HERE COMES SECOND GEA... SQUEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!! what the? serpentine belt SCREAMS at me over 4500rpm or so... not necessarily while racing hondas *which i actually don't do... the above is for entertainment purposes, ahem* or while heavy on the gas, but anytime the rpm's go above 4500 or so it shrieks at me and makes me sad
The factory belt is a POS and needs to be replaced with a higher quality belt (they claim).. I have heard the squeal once in a while since then but not all the time like it was.

my last car was a 1968 camaro with a 327, 3" dual exhaust with an H-pipe, and a locked 3:73 rear
Last car was a 1995 Z28, 3:42s, full exhaust, cam, yada yada. :)

i'd also like to see what i can do to improve the mpg on this beast... i drive 120 miles total to-from work, most of it is on the turnpike, and i can't seem to get my mpg up past 29... pussy-footing it doesn't help... drafting on trucks will, but, no
I have terrible mileage sometimes and great mileage others. No idea why that is. Try to reset the MPG thing once in a while and see if it improves. :(

Sorry to see yet another member with all the same issues we have all dealt with. :( If it helps the 06 model appears to be trouble free. ha ha.

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe I read it too quickly to absorb it, is the gas gauge not reading correctly? If that is the problem, here ya go.
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN: MFG Bulletin Number: 3088A

MFG Bulletin Date: 20040101

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:FUEL GAUGE SYSTEM

Details: FUEL GAUGE NOT READING FULL AFTER A CUSTOMER FILL.

·
Registered
122 Posts
mats / bolts

gobo said:
got a 2005 g6 base model

oooooooo i've got a 6-disc CD changer... listen to it cause it sounds grBEEP.................. BEEP................. BEEP................ BEEP............ cd changer error? wha? HOLY CRAP THAT THING'S HOT! ACK MY CD'S ARE MALEABLE WHAT'S GOING ON! in short, anytime it's cold out and i run the heater for an hour or so, the cd player completely ceases functioning *can only listen to radio* and it gives me this horribly annoying beep every 8 seconds or so... turning the vehicle off, removing the key, walking away, and swearing at the vehicle do NOT make the beeping stop... leaving the car alone for 20 minutes will

clips on my rear ground effect and front spoiler *that's what that thing is, isn't it?* are missing... bah

on the bright side... i've had the thing for about 10 months and i've got almost 30,000 miles on it, and it's running like a champ... i just don't have any freakin time to drop it off and get this annoying stuff fixed

so... the reason i'm posting this is... where can i get a set of slotted *or upgraded or whatever'd* rotors for this thing, and how much can/should i expect to pay for them? i already put a k&n air filter in, and i can feel the difference *if there's anything you want in the snow, it's more power, eh? duh*... i'd also like to get a nice set of floor mats *salesman told me i'd get them, should've known...* but i can't find anything for the g6 or even just pontiac branded... i'd also eventually like to upgrade the ignition system on the thing and possibly do a dual-exhaust conversion... you need to forgive me, my last car was a 1968 camaro with a 327, 3" dual exhaust with an H-pipe, and a locked 3:73 rear

yeah, i'm using you all as a bunch of internet shortcuts because i'm no good at google

anyways... nifty site you guys have here... looking forward to any suggestions/sympathies/flaming, and thanks in advance!
hers a mat site for g6
http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PFYC&Category_Code=G6

·
Registered
124 Posts
Greetings & welcome... :D
As for floormats that are authentic to the G6 try this link: http://www.pontiacmall.com/products.asp?dept=1052

If your gas gauge isn't cluing you into how much life you have remaining, then it's high time to take it in to have that matter resolved, especially with the great amount of mileage you put on just daily, prior to your factory warranty expiring.

I am on my 2nd (& hopefully last CD changer) myself. Though mine didn't perform nearly as poorly as yours seems to at time of replacement - again... have the warranty work for you while you're under it's umbrella of coverage.

Now..., what's this issue about "those horrible tires"? I personally have had no beef with them to date & do not look forward to having to replace them any time soon (there's a chunk o'change that I don't fluidly have ready).

I commend your loyalty to the G6 given ALL its disadvantages you've experienced. Since you previously drove a muscle car, granted you expect some level of performance in its replacement. My last car was an '87 Cadillac Brougham. Boy, I sure do miss that smooth ride. The G6's frame is so stiff that I feel EVERY bump in the road.

Take care out there, pal! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok... updates

so... i took it to a dealer...

they replaced the starter... it still sounds like death... they are now saying that there is a known issue with starters hanging after the car starts, although that is NOT what it sounds like to me... they say it is "currently under investigation"... i think i'm being shoveled a line of BS

they replaced the fog lamp switch... joy of joys

they replaced the sending unit in the gas tank, so i currently STILL have no idea how much gas i have... the thing still drops to LAYING on E once it gets below 3 gallons... a guy at the dealer had the brass pair to suggest that this is the way a fuel gauge is supposed to work... sorry, buddy, my 37 year old car could accurately tell me how much gas i had in my tank... i don't think that a car built in 2005 should be innaccurate by up to 1/4 tank... to quote the guy at the dealer, "if it didn't tell you that you were out of gas until you were actually out of gas, people would be running out of gas all over the place" ... well guess what, buddy, i can decide for myself when to get gas... i don't need my car refusing to tell me how much gas i have once i get below 3 gallons... as a result of this glaring deficiency, i HAVE run out of gas all over the place... i've had to call for roadside assistance 4 or 5 times already... not good

so, in short, they managed to fix the switch after having the car for two whole days... AND... AND... AND... i paid for major guard and they are fighting me tooth and nail on the notion that i need to have a loaner if they keep this thing overnight... so i get the feeling that they pushed it through without testing *duh* just so they wouldn't have to give me a car... it's going back there on thursday and i am going during peak selling hours so i can be as loud as i possibly can... try to stick me with a POS? i'll stick you with terrifyingly informed customers

managed to order a set of mats through pontiac for $50... so... that's fun

i'm waiting to see what happens with this fuel gauge thing, because i absolutely refuse to accept this vehicle with a useless fuel gauge... if they refuse to admit that this is NOT the way a fuel gauge is supposed to work, we're gonna tangle, lol

just figured i'd update you all... didn't have internet access for a few weeks due to a move

1 - 9 of 9 Posts