Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I read posts in this forum most of the information etc is very helpful to all of us. What I do not understand is all the complaints -other than rightful ones about defects or problems with a brand new car - about the red dash ights-did not you know before you bought it? the gas mileage-these are done in a factory enviorment-not real life - tires--they are a compromise between ride,comfort,noise etc - unless they are performace ones-and each ones is specific to each case(drag-road and track--you will have to keep a dozen in your trunk to have a set for each type of race.) why did you buy a g6 - price-looks-etc - the car to me looks good--not everyone has one like the acura tl-pretty quick in city and highway driving-pontiacs never had a top end off the showroom floor-plus these are front wheel drive--you lose a little when you incorporate a few things -drive wheels -steering in the same mechanics -even in the 60's and 70's when you bought a "muscle car" you still had to modify it to get a "machine" cars from the factory are usually a compromise-you have to add parts to take the compromise out - different cam--usually your idle is not smooth - exhaust-noise level - etc etc - from the factory you have a reliable vehicle--can do over 100 - handles very well looks great - just some of my thoughts-sorry if its long winded

·
Registered
73 Posts
Applause! Here here! I'll drink to that!

Sure, there are issues with the G6. Just like there are issues with any car - especially one that is just now into its second year of production.

I bought the G becuase I needed more room than my truck offered, and with the employee pricing plan, it came loaded with more features than the Altima that I could get for close to the same price. Other than one or two issues - albeit minor and none requiring dealer service - I have been extremely pleased with the G. The other new vehicle I owned - a Ford Ranger - had serious issues and "defects" abundant, and they've been making that vehicle how long now?

The G is what it is. No, it's not a Lexus. No, it's not a sports car. It does have it's share of styling, and more power than anyone, save Mario Andretti, would need in a sedan or small family car. Defects and shortcomings included, I think it's still a lot of bang for the buck.

And besides, some people wouldn't be happy with anything, regardless of the circumstances.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Like my grandma used to say, "Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope". Personally, I really enjoy my G6, as does my wife. Maybe we just got a good one, but we have none of the issues people have listed on these forums. We love the styling, fit and finnish is good, the mileage is great (29-33mpg), and it is peppy enough to cause my wife to finally keep her radar detector turned on.

As for the tires, Blackrider, not all goodyear products are bad, as you stated. All products are a balance of cost, purpose and longevity. If the tires GM installed on your G6 are not fulfilling your needs, change them. Someday you will learn that making blanket statements and cursing does nothing to help your credulity. Seperate fact from personal opinions and you will be taken much more seriously in the forums.

Just my opinion, worth about what it costs.. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im a long time Pontiac fan, the car I traded on the basic sedan G6 was a GP GTP, I knew what I was trading for and for the price wouldn't have traded for anything else. I have inquired about tightening up the suspension but there is nothing wrong with it. It's missing a couple of creature comforts that the GP had but I'm satisfied with everything about the car. There hasn't been any problem with the steering on it but I have had the following problems with it: wind noise with standard type sunroof open (05 design-- 06 different design) fixed with addition of air deflector- no biggie, it works. Loose left rear strut rattle-- fixed at dealership (should have been tight to start with but again- no biggie. CD changer radio switching stations between shut off and next start up and CDs jammed, took a bit more persuasion plus for it to finally code to get the dealership to replace but replaced with new radio. Do any of the complaints make me NOT want another Pontiac? No, I plan on buying another G6 (convertible) in fact when I get this one paid off unless another model attracts me in the '10 lineup. For those who have had the steering problem I'm not taking away from your dilemma but I suspect that they will figure out and correct whatever has caused the few cars to malfunction, who knows, mine may do it at some point--or not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have to disagree. Some of the problems with this car are unacceptable. Your tolerance of such problems is only because you are accostomed to owning cars with various problems. I love the G6, and might still buy one, but realistically these cars are not as good as they should be. I've only driven Hondas, and if I had a honda that was "overstarting", or had "steering problems", I would be absolutely flabergasted. Their cars are that good. The G6 is an attractive package for the price, but price should not be taken into consideration. Toyota's and Honda's least expensive cars have just as few problems as the most expensive ones they make. The "first year model" is no excuse either. GM has made HUGE strides in quality, but they aren't their yet. I applaud them for the G6 and their work, and only hope it gets better.

·
Registered
268 Posts
PCB said:
Like my grandma used to say, "Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope". Personally, I really enjoy my G6, as does my wife. Maybe we just got a good one, but we have none of the issues people have listed on these forums. We love the styling, fit and finnish is good, the mileage is great (29-33mpg), and it is peppy enough to cause my wife to finally keep her radar detector turned on.

As for the tires, Blackrider, not all goodyear products are bad, as you stated. All products are a balance of cost, purpose and longevity. If the tires GM installed on your G6 are not fulfilling your needs, change them. Someday you will learn that making blanket statements and cursing does nothing to help your credulity. Seperate fact from personal opinions and you will be taken much more seriously in the forums.

Just my opinion, worth about what it costs.. :D
Humm, well I’m a 5 year veteran on the grandamgt.com board and about 3 years on the GAOC board, and over that time I would like to think that my opinion is respected due to the knowledge of the platform I bring and advise I give. "Cursing" has nothing to do with it. I'm not trying to start anything here but I don’t require a lecture on forum edict.

Second of all, “IN MY OPINION” Goodyear tires are crap, this is not limited to the LS2’s on the GTP. My dislike for Goodyear goes back to the great Eagle RSA recall on the Grand Am’s.
You stated that the tires where the product of balance and cost, Goodyear tires are notorious for being over prices and under rated. Pontiac has built an all around great performance midsize here, and should have provided an all-season that better matched the GTP’s characteristics. Plain and simple.

Its obvious that we have different things in mind when it comes to tires. lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Like my grandma used to say, "Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope".
Hadn't heard that in a while :) I always got funny looks when I qouted it. That happens when you hang around with the culturally deprived. :D

Anway, we love our G6. It has been trouble free for us. When asked the one thing I would change, I would still change the interior lighting from red. Is that a complaint? No.

Gas mileage: For whatever reason, we didn't reset the gas mileage computer when we filled up the first few times so the total now shown is the cumulative for the life of the car, or at least all but the first 57 miles. It shows 32.8 mpg. About half the miles were interstate highway and the cruise control moves it along with a nary a hiccup at 75-80 mph.

The car it replaced was another GM (Chevy Corsica which we bought new). It was smaller, less comfortable, noisier and seldom ever gets over 30 mpg.

The G6 was complicit in a "first-ever" speeding ticket for one of our family's drivers after 40+ years behind the wheel! It cruises so quiet and nice at 75+ mph that we blew right past the radar machine. Ooops.

For info, our 2005 G6V6 has a shade over 6000 miles on it. It doesn't have a sunroof. It doesn't have enough windnoise to notice. I can hear the pavement surface change...not because the tire noise is loud but becaue everything is so quiet.

Forums on the internet tend to bring out complaints. There is very little conversation to be made from "my car is great today, how is yours?" "great, thanks for asking". [YAWN!] OTOH, if someone has a problem, we encourage them to talk about it here in part as a way to help solve problems and sometimes it helps to share.

·
Registered
108 Posts
jp375 said:
I have to disagree. Some of the problems with this car are unacceptable. Your tolerance of such problems is only because you are accostomed to owning cars with various problems. I love the G6, and might still buy one, but realistically these cars are not as good as they should be. I've only driven Hondas, and if I had a honda that was "overstarting", or had "steering problems", I would be absolutely flabergasted. Their cars are that good. The G6 is an attractive package for the price, but price should not be taken into consideration. Toyota's and Honda's least expensive cars have just as few problems as the most expensive ones they make. The "first year model" is no excuse either. GM has made HUGE strides in quality, but they aren't their yet. I applaud them for the G6 and their work, and only hope it gets better.
The overstarting issue is only becuase people dont know how to start this car. You dont hold the key like on most cars, just turn and let go and it fires up. I hate to tell you, but I hate to tel lyou but most people I know with Honda's have their fair shares of problems too. I beleive on the last quality rankings GM was very close to Honda. Yes Toyota's are great, but the funny thing is a lot of people have the misconcetion about Honda's that they never break. Like my friend who insisted Honda's were the most reliable car when hers was running on only 3 cylinders with 80k miles.

·
Registered
916 Posts
hook2233 said:
As I read posts in this forum most of the information etc is very helpful to all of us. What I do not understand is all the complaints -other than rightful ones about defects or problems with a brand new car - about the red dash ights-did not you know before you bought it?
some people are not complaining about their cars really, they are writting post for people with the same opinion as them.so they can post to about problems that there car has. But the issue with the steering is dangerous i have had issues with it but i still like the car. and also the light went out in the fog light button i use my fogs every time i drive because i choose to and i paid for the option, i believe? It sucks that i doesnt work i dont see how that is complaining? but i didnt understand what u wrote completely? :confused: I am not trying to hurt or put any one down just was posting since the first thing you said i did not understand thanks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
AND, we should all keep in mind that it is just Human Nature that those who are really HAPPY with their G6's are not going to look for a forum to express their delight, but those who have had 'issues' will seek out at all costs a forum to express their displeasure......and dont' get me wrong, thats GREAT!!! you know, the American Way and all. but we ALL need to keep these complaints in perspective and realize that this is a very small segment of G6 owners (what is the membership now, 400+?) compared to the number of these cars GM has sold nationwide and in Canada.

for the record, while i have experienced the much-publicized (in this forum, anyway) steering wheel lock-up issue, i still LUV MY 'G' and haven't seen anything on the road that i would trade it for. like 'G&M' said, it IS only the second year for production and most of the complaints have been from those of us who have the FIRST YEAR PRODUCTION cars.

seems, though, that a majority of complaints are about the way customers are treated at the Dealership Service Department and NOT so much about the car itself. it appears that many owners realize that there may be some 'bugs' to get out, but are still happy with their purchase. MANY, but not ALL!
but i for one am not the least bit sorry i bought MY Pontiac G6 GT Sedan! :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
branderson said:
The overstarting issue is only becuase people dont know how to start this car. You dont hold the key like on most cars, just turn and let go and it fires up. .
I know you are not saying some of us are retarded and have no clue how to start a car. Futher more the same problem occurs when pushing a button for remote start (makes the car pretty retarded too don't you think?)

There is a problem with it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I will admit some of you are probably complete sick of hearing my complaints..but for the money going out of my pocket to drive this car I COULD be driving something with none of these issues. In fact I know many Cobalt owners who are having a great experience with no issues and paying a lot less.

Am I angry at my G6? Maybe..Am I angry at myself for buying the G6? YES.

I am not trying to say the G6 is a pos. I am saying MY G6 is a pos and if I hadn't gotten burnt on the deal I wouldn't be here posting today. (considering I will owe more on it after 1 year of ownership than anyone who got the employee discount)

The car has some quirks.. and at a few points along the way I have accepted it for what it is and tried to just deal. Everytime I do something breaks (rim, seat stiching, Cd changer, steering goes out, etc).. It has prevented me from just accepting.. So Sorry... You are all stuck hearing my complaints until its gone. (dont worry i will let you all know where it ends up so someone you know doesn't end up with it)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts