Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SPACESHIP G6 FORUM
I spent all day messing around with my light set-up & I finally found the setup I love, but I'm wondering if you much older & wiser drivers could tell me if it's legal. I'll be posting photos tommorow since it's my day off. The set-up I choose is as follows...Xenon Headlights, HID Fog Lights, Blue LED strip behind grille...My question...Is it illegal to have a light in the grille of your car?? I drove it tonight to Wal-Mart and this guy commented that my car looks like a "Spaceship" going down the road. I laughed and then I had a thought I wonder what a cop would say if he saw me driving at night?? Would I be greeted with a $100-$250 ticket? I dunno. That's why I'm asking...But either way it looks really cool and like my grille is chilling on ice. I've noticed some members on here have ground effects kits and have done some LED lighting set-ups, but the BIG Question is how many times have they been fined or pulled over, and in my case hopefully none, cuz ill be next!:eek:

*I posted a pic. of what mine look like until I take my own photos*

Attachments

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
i have red behind mine....and yes red and blue would...could get you a ticket

red and blue forward facing lights are for emergency vehicles. mine i never use but if i do its just to mess around in a parking lot or w.e

·
Registered
422 Posts
It depends on what area you are in.
In Ontario it is illegal to have lights which cast red and blue light (doesnt mention only blue lights, just the combination of both) to front of the vehicle. I am by no means a lawyer, but I would think that you can install the light, but just cannot have it be operational while on a public road...aka for off-road use only.
Check your state/minicipal laws, or even stop by the local police station and ask them, rather be safe than sorry.
Where are you located, and where is the vehicle licenced/insured?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far...I live in PA which is one of the more strict states in the USA, and its filled with old people and old rules lol...I think I found my solution...I just read somewhere that as long as they are white I can't get in trouble for impersonating a cop or EMS, which is totally not the case, but that's how a cop would write it up and last time I checked those fines are rediculous and you can do jail time. I'm not driving my car anywhere else until I change the LEDS to white. Dav3 you should post pics of your G6 with the Red lights in the grill I bet that looks real nice!

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
ah i keep meaning to since i got my headlights and everything going but i cant find my digital camera. might have to just use the cell.

wish i had the ait hood...leds behind that as well. would look even better :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres the pictures I promised

Okay, so I went to my local police dept. today and asked them the question if it's legal or not to have any color lights other than white on the front of a vehicle and the answer was NO.(Atleast for PA) He did comment that I could keep these blue ones on and take the chance, which im not since now they know my car lol...but he said most cops won't pull you over for little things like lights cuz they have better things to do. *Cough*(Eat donuts). So I went and picked up some white LEDS that im going to replace the blue ones with and it should give me the save results just diff color. Give me some feedback on which you like better, but either way I gotta stick with the white. Thanks

*These are pictures of how my car sits now with the Blue LEDS*
*I'll post some pics of the white ones when I'm done so we can compare*

Attachments

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
It's true though. Most cops have better things to be catching than some car with blue lights in their grille. They will just write you a ticket for it if you happen to be pulled over for something else like speeding or running a red light.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I was thinking they would be illeagal regardless of the color. I know you can't have lights under your car on while driving down the road. A friend of mine in college from Michigan had a kit and we had it on while driving here in PA and we got pulled over and he got a ticket. PA is pretty strict with that type of thing, most of the time if it isn't OEM it is illeagal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts