Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if its just my car but my spare tire cover has always sunk in or shifted if I put heavy items in my trunk. I seen the spare on a 2008 VW R32, it had a foam cover for support. I also seen a 2005 Toyota Camry spare tire, they use a piece of metal that zig zags under the cover to provide support.

Am I missing something in my car or is that how is supposed to be? Any on came across this problem before and have a good solution?

·
Registered
911 Posts
i have no other support in mine...its just a peice of plywood with some carpet attached. yours might've gotten wet and thus warped. probably wouldn't be hard to replace. orrr you can stuff the rest of the empty space under the cover with some type of insulation foam to provide support..

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I just doubled up with another piece of hardboard underneath because it was easy. I'd like another solution that adds less weight to the vehicle though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feed back. I'm going to add this to the list of things I need to do. I'll post back once I get this done.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Its sooooo simple!
Get a 2x3 piece of wood and cut it to 2-3 feet long then drill a hole in the centre of it. It then rests on the spare tire with the bolt through the middle to keep it from sliding around.
I've had mine like that since shortly after i bought it and I could stand in the trunk and it wouldn't collapse because all the weight is transferred to the spare tire and in turn the body/frame of the car!
Its cheap, removable and easy peasey to make!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts