Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come when I remove my spare tire and jack I dont notice performance gains what so ever. It makes my car actually a little slower 0-60, but then when i put them back in, my car hops too it and it seems faster yet its more weight? With the spare is there better weight balance/distribution or something?

Correct me if i'm wrong, just a little confused:confused:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe you meant to post this at the Joke Central forum lol

Some one can correct me if I'm wrong but our spare tire does not weight enough to actually make a noticeable difference.

As far as weight reductions, you would do better by getting lighter wheels. Or do a combination of weight reduction mods; carbon fiber hood, lighter wheels, smaller battery, etc.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Figure (roughly) 100lbs is equal to .1 off your quarter mile time. Sure the spare tire weighs less and removing weight in the back will put more displacement on the front - may help with traction (guessing) but your not going to zoom around b/c of it. IMO unless you have a specific reason (air suspension, subs, storage, etc) keep the tire in there.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
your spare tire is not only filled with helium it is also made with a space age hardened helium. same with the jack

so having it in your car actually makes your car lighter as it now has an object with -down force

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
^hahaha

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
Holy crap.... I cant believe this is an actual thread.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Holy crap.... I cant believe this is an actual thread.
+1!

I can go on and on about how stupid this thread is and or its creator if indeed it was an actual question. Somebodys been watching too many Fast and the Furious movies....haha Power to Weight ratio, you need a lot more weight reduction to increase power my friend!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow

So what if its a lame question. That's the point of this site is to ask questions damn, how do u expect to get more members, when there questions are shut down. Plus he's actually stating a fact he took his tire out and put it back and notice a dif. Don't believe him then go do it yourself.:eek:

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
placebo effect!
Yup NFW someone noticed a difference in day to day life. If your first inclination of modifying a vehicle is weight reduction you definitely bought the wrong car LOL

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
We do believe him, but you dont see any of use taking the spare tires out for performance, because it will make close to no difference.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I could really care less cause you are right about that. I mean I don't even kno how you would even come up with the idea of taking ur tire outta the trunk lol. But no need to say this thread is pointless. Considering you can see what its about before you click it. Kinda like who's more of an idiot the idiot leading or the one following... just saying is all.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I think you are all missing the point. He had a relative question for someone who is learning. Weight reduction - as all things - are variable and can have a dramatic effect on a vehicle when done properly. Removing the tire (40lbs or under) is a step in the right direction - instead of saying 'your stupid don't do that' perhaps the proper response would be 'that is a part of it - keep going'. If you remove a bunch of small things - the weight quickly adds up and you'd be surprised at how much you can shed.

Sound deadening in the trunk and rear, back seat, windshield washer reservoir, lighter battery, passenger seat, sunroof, ac compressor, hood, lighter rims, etc - can all be removed (going a bit overboard but proving a point) - apart its not a big deal but together you just lost some serious weight.

I don't know the exact number but figure roughly 100 lbs -.1 off quarter mile you could shave .2 or .3 if not more off. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahah stop guys! I was just wondering. Trust me i do know about cars, I just havent been on the foums a while. I am not a noob. :)

Thanks StLouisDave your the man

·
19 Posts
Yeah, I was cleaning my trunk the other day and cleaned the spare ture compartment too. Upon removing the spare to clean the dirt and grime I left the spare out and drove it a while to see the results.

Non at all.

:)

Gonna need more drastic measures to increase your cars performance with weight reduction.

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Now for some hardcore facts.

Taking the spare tire out of the trunk and using the car as a daily driver can be hazardous to your health. I've posted this before at the other forum a while back, but it appears that it needs to be repeated.

The spare tire design in the G6, as in many cars with the same design is part of the structural support in the event of a rear end collision.

What little weight you might save by removing the spare tire, is really not worth it.

Now, if you have an all out race car, and use it at the track to compete, that's a whole other issue.

·
Banned
211 Posts
I would recommend taking out your back seats, before your spare tire. Hell, just take the brakes out. Who needs brakes, anyways?

I notice no difference between having an 150 pound box with 2 subwoofers in the trunk, and having no 150 pound box of subwoofers in the trunk. I don't think you'll notice a difference from the spare tire.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts