Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a "Tune Up" on my G6 GT at 75,000 miles. I am changing the Spark Plugs and Transmission Filter. The transmission filter is going to be a breeze, but the spark plugs are another story.

The question I have is the rear plugs on the 3.5L engine are impossible to get to from the top, does anyone have any easier way or trick to get to them without having to tear stuff apart?

(yes I did use the search feature and found information on which plugs people prefer, but not any How To or anything like that, maybe I will do a How To write up on it with photos once I find an easy way to change the rear plugs)

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I don't know if they are hard to get to or not. I remember someone saying they are tuff as nails to get to.????

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I changed my plugs to E3's last month too on my 3.5L. No difference in performance or mileage.

I had to use some pilers to get them off. The back ones were a pain and I accidently stripped one of the spark plug wires so I had to buy a whole new set.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I am waiting for my Magnecor 8.5mm red ignition wires to come in so that I can replace my plugs with the stock AC Delco Iridium plugs. My GTP has the 3.9 and someone told me to remove the alternator and it makes the back plugs A LOT easier to get to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just did my wifes with E3 plugs and you can do them though the top!her car also has the 3.5
Yeah I purchased the ACDelco Iridium plugs, I heard some good things about them, they weren't cheap either. About $9.00/plug, but working at Advance Auto I get a good discount.

Is there any trick to going through the top of the vehicle milk man?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am waiting for my Magnecor 8.5mm red ignition wires to come in so that I can replace my plugs with the stock AC Delco Iridium plugs. My GTP has the 3.9 and someone told me to remove the alternator and it makes the back plugs A LOT easier to get to.
Yeah I can see taking the alternator off to get to them making it easier...i don't know if I want to do that though, but I guess I may have to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK new guy here. Just replaced the plugs in my wifes 07 with a 3.5 liter engine. Yes I did them from the top. All I removed was the plastic cover from the top and the intake tube from the front. Boots were a little hard to remove because I am sure they have been on the plugs for a few years. We have only owned this car for about 6 months so I am doing things that I see need done a little at a time. Seems like a good car for my wife, decient power, roomy for a midsize and a nice stereo. Job took about an hour not breaking a sweat and minimal tools. Socket with small extention, rubber hose, flashlight, and a beer or two.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
For the 3.9: after disconnecting the battery, I just pulled out my alt. and was able to get to the back very easily, replaced the plugs and wires with the same AC Delco plugs, but used Magnecor Wires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.