Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G6 which has almost 160K kms. on it. It's running great but it's time to have some maintenance done.

Money not withstanding, I'm looking for the best combination of spark plug and wire combination. Any suggestions/experiences?

Thanks!

· Registered
48 Posts
I got a set of the e3's put in my car this week, but I only have 29k miles on it. They are great though. Better throttle response and slightly better mpg. As far as wires, mine 3.6 doesnt have a distributor, each plug has its own coil. But as far as I can tell, you cant go wrong with the e3's

· Registered
48 Posts
Are the e3's iridium or platinum?
"Additionally, the three legs that support the special geometry of our design move heat out of the ground electrode, which helps the electrode last longer. The center electrodes are forged with a copper center core surrounded by a nickel alloy sheath and tip. The copper pulls heat out of the center electrode's tip, which also helps durability. The copper core is virtually equal to platinum in extending electrode life."

· Premium Member
643 Posts
Heard good and bad things about the E3's. I would say keep with the AC Delco because you know they will work fine for the car.

· Registered
48 Posts
Hey guys, I just fueled up after running a full tank with the new plugs. I keep track of my gas via fuelly.com which showed I had a 2 mpg bump over average. But with the sample of info small (one tank) we shall see if it continues the trend. I would say im happy though, much better throttle response and ill definitely take the 2 mpg.

· Registered
470 Posts
I run NGK plugs in all my vehicles. Will be switching the G6 over in about three years, or when I get about 70,000kms on it, currently it just rolled over the 40,000km mark! I don't drive much to warrant longer lasting plugs. Not worth the money. I had too many problems in the past trying to pull a plug out of a head that's been in there for close to 100K kms. I can only imagine the trouble I'd have pulling them out at their rated 100K mile mark. I change copper core out every 40,000kms, never had a problem in twelve years, which is more than I can say for longer lasting, more expensive plugs.

If I drove 100K kms a year, I'd think twice and get the longer lasting plugs for less downtime, but as I don't, it's not beneficial to me to keep plugs in a head for 6+ years at a time, or longer as you're just asking for problems.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to drive about 1500kms a week. Now that I don't have to travel for work I drive about 100kms/week. For the price I think I try those e3s and see how it goes.

As for pulling out the old plugs (been in there since 2005) that'll be the mechanic's nightmare to deal with. :) He already knows, so I'm sure he has a few ideas already.

Now what wire set should I buy to go along with these plugs?

Thanks!

· Registered
156 Posts
i changed my plugs at like 103,000 and they werent hard to get out at all. and ive been running the e3s since then and i have 113,000 miles now and i havent had a single problem. and with the wires, i know msd ignition is a very good brand, so i got my wires from them. you have to contact them and have a custom set made but it is well worth it in my opinion. i gained 4mpg and a few horsepower too. i was told to use this combo from a performance shop in my area.

· Registered
470 Posts
I'd only consider them for better emissions, when the time comes. They've said to better nox by 40%. If you need to pass emissions, these plugs should help you do it. My G6 still has another 30K to go on these plugs, but knowingly I'll stick with my NGK copper's after that. I don't drive it enough to justify good plugs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.