Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What spark plugs have you guys ran in your car? Are these cars even worth going a step colder? The wifes car has 46k on it but they are 4 yrs old so i might just replace them anyway.

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I dont think going a step colder will make much difference in a normally asperated engine.
as for plugs many people including myself run with NGK Iridium IX plugs. Im pretty happy with mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's a new bosh Iridium plug that's out that really has a performance jump between the NGK's and they're about 1 dollar cheaper than the NGK's for me. There's the most iridium in them, and they laser weld the tip so there's no micro cracks or anything. I work at a parts desk and we just got these in, I don't know how new they are but they're supposed to hold a better spark longer than the NGK's. I think the part number is #9601http://www.boschsparkplugs.net/product.aspx?zpid=8216

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seem to be pretty nice but I only paid 7.09 for each plug so the savings doesn't really matter much. No matter which ones you go with, if you haven't done this in a while (or ever) DO IT. I can't stress this enough, it seemed to fix some starting issues I was having and my six seems so much more peppy now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I use NGK Iridium plugs in my Triumph T100 and what a difference. I'll use similar plugs in my G6 when the time comes. I believe the stock plugs had a life of ~80-90K miles in the G6? From what I recall the dealer said the tune up won't be due until 160,000kms, but I won't wait that long!

·
Registered
447 Posts
If youre gonna get NGK spark plugs get the Laser Iridiums (ITR4A15) not the Iridium IX's (TR55IX). The Iridium IX's are actually a heat range colder than the stock ones. Laser Iridiums are the stock ones, same part number ITR4A15 is stamped on the AC Delco plugs. Also FWIW the Laser Iridiums have a service life of 100,000 and the Iridium IX's are 60,000.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

I'm dreading to change the back plugs. One of the downsides of a transverse V6.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

I'm dreading to change the back plugs. One of the downsides of a transverse V6.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
They dont seem so bad, Ive done some that were worse before. Ill be changing my plugs either this weekend or next though so Ill let you know how that goes :D

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
60 degree V6s have a front motor mount right on top that bolts to the core support. When you remove that mount you can rotate the whole engine forward to get down in the back. I don't think the V6 G6s have this mount, but maybe theres a way to rotate the engine forwards and free up some room...
As for me a plug job is a walk in the park :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah. I changed all 6 of mine after work in like 30 mins. Shouldn't need to rock this engine. Now the old lumina Z24 (or what ever it is) is a mist. I have smaller arms and hands and that's still a tight squeeze.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm going to try out the new bosch plugs. Does anyone have any recommendations for wires?
Thought you had a 3.6? If so you have coil on plug so you don't have any wires :lol:

·
Registered
174 Posts
What would be the best site to buy the ngk plugs and wires from?

·
Registered
117 Posts
i love my wires from kingsbourne... and the plugs.. well just about anywhere for the plugs

1 - 17 of 17 Posts