Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

i just baught bosch platinum plus sparkplugs with NGK wires that i am about to install tommorow morning and i was wondering if i made a good choice. I asked some guys around at canadian tire see what they think and personnaly they said that they wouldn't put NGK in GM cars and they would go more for Bosch. They are also half price of the iridium IX. So i got the bosch. The gap on the Bosch was higher then .040 so i put it at .040. Then i saw on the site that these spark plugs don't need to be gapped because they are preset. Is it true? because i gapped them to the recommended gap for a 2008 3.5L. Could it do any harm?

·
Registered
465 Posts
The factory gap specs is the best.
NGK plugs are better suited for our cars than Bosch.
Bosch are generally best for European cars only.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
IIRC NGK makes plugs for GM / AC Delco.
I also recall seeing the iridium IX plugs are a step cooler, where as the NGK laser plugs are the same as OEM.

I also remember hearing in an automotive class that Bosch makes pretty much all of the fuel systems for most if not all manufacturers. Not sure about plugs though.
I think you're good so long as you got iridium plugs.

As for gapping I believe the reason they come pre gapped is because people damage the end of the plug trying to gap em themselves. However I always double check because I don't trust every one that comes off the line has the same Gap. Just be sure to bend only the tab and avoid hitting the tip.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i guess i'll try to return these bosch and go get NGK iridium IX?

are those supposed to be already pregrapped to our factory settings?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright :p but do i need to gap the iridium ix to .040 or should i leave them preset?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I would double check the gap to be sure they're all at .040.
I have those iridium IX plugs and they were pre-gapped correctly in my case

·
Registered
447 Posts
If youre gonna get NGK spark plugs get the Laser Iridiums (ITR4A15) not the Iridium IX's (TR55IX). The Iridium IX's are actually a heat range colder than the stock ones. Laser Iridiums are the stock ones, same part number ITR4A15 is stamped on the AC Delco plugs. Also FWIW the Laser Iridiums have a service life of 100,000 and the Iridium IX's are 60,000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts