Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking for a spoiler for my convertible since I bought it. Though GM put them on the up-trim G6 sedans and coupes, I’ve not seen an OEM one for the convertible. I’ve been looking at spoilers on other cars hoping to find one that would look like it belonged, or could belong, on the convertible. Yes, I know that’s a long shot. The one pictured here might be worth considering if it appeals to you. It’s from a ’06 Chevy Impala. To minimize complexity, I wanted to keep the convertible’s LED-brake-light-bar and of course the spoiler had to be light so as to not affect the trunk lid supports. This one has the 40” needed between the “legs” to clear the light-bar and being made of ABS plastic it weighs under 4 pounds.

After modifying it to fit, I rough painted and mounted it (not yet permanent) on my car to get a view of how it would look in place. Aside from perhaps something imaginative to fill the gap at the rear corners, it’s close to done.

If anyone is interested in taking a chance on one like this, I’d be glad to post more pictures, make measurements and show/describe how I modified it to give you a head start. If others here have spoilers they’ve modified or created for their convertible that they’d like to share, I’d be very interested to see them. Take care and be safe everyone. - Mark
2rear.jpg 1righthip.jpg 3lefthip.jpg 4top.jpg 5lights.jpg 6last.jpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looks good Mark. I like it but I am not quite there yet. Just curious , can you go back or once get to a certain point are you committed? Ie. is the original led light reusable?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As to whether or not you can go back or are committed, thus far I've made no changes to my car and have drilled no holes. So, I can definitely go back. Just so you know, the Impala spoiler was held to the truck lid of the car I got it off of by four small screws and two adhesive gaskets, one under each foot. I have to tell you the adhesive "molding tape" gaskets are incredibly strong. I had to use a two-foot screwdriver to pry on the spoiler "feet" while cutting the adhesive with a utility knife to get it off. I have no doubts that the molding tape would hold the spoiler on the Impala trunk lid forever by itself. My plan was to try and get as much contact area between the modified spoiler and G6 trunk lid to see if molding tape alone would hold the spoiler on. If that's do-able, it would allow me to remove it down the road without damage.

As for the convertible's stock LED-brake-light-bar, one of the reasons I chose this spoiler is that it was wide enough to straddle the light bar which is retained in it's original position. I applied the brakes to illuminate it for one of the pictures. The spoiler is not in contact with the light-bar. - Mark

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds good Mark. Still not for me but I do like your thought process. I like the lz9 badging though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a clean install, though not my style maybe because of the shape of the trunk or the spoiler is a bit small.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mark you are the MAN! I've been contemplating the same thing on my vert, I really appreciate your commitment as well, weight and use of the OEM spoiler is key. The install looks clean as well. That being said, that particular spoiler, in my opinion, because of its position on the trunk lid makes the rear almost squarish. And the side view seems to be a little far up the trunk lid. And yes, I know it's to cover the OEM spoiler. It does look clean but doesn't have that, "wow that is sick" appeal to me. Once again though, you are the MAN! personally I want to do the same thing but in a hammerhead type or maybe an impreza style I just haven't figured it out yet

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with your views that the Impala spoiler squares off the rear end and seems positioned a bit forward of where it should be. I could move it rearward slightly, but the legs are already short and some of the gaps don't look very flattering. I've seen a couple of other OEM spoilers recently that I'm going to measure and see if they might fit. If I find any and get involved with them like I did with this one, I'll just add to this thread rather than start another. Thanks for your input and good luck. - Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am keeping up with this, they could have done better with the spoiler on the vert. I mean really, all that karmann engineering for the top seems like the "spoiler" was an afterthought.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Mark, gimme your thoughts, test fitting of course. It will be mounted to the 3rd brake light lame ass spoiler with double sided tape, no drilling! Will still have full use of the third brake light and original spoiler will basically be the foundation for the upper spoiler and when painted will look very similar to the hammerhead spoiler on the coup it's a perfect fit to be honest I couldn't believe how well it blends with the back of the car. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi guys,
I saw one of these yesterday and thought one of you might like it! It has an led third brake light built into the thicker part.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Mark, gimme your thoughts, test fitting of course...
What a great find! You're right, it seems to fit in very well. Be sure to post the final pics once you get it painted and mounted! Great job!

Although I like the thought of using molding tape to hold spoilers on, I have to admit to a certain skepticism that it will hold for the long run unless you can get a high percentage of contact area between the spoiler and trunk lid. (I didn't have that on my most recent test.) Looks like you might have that already. Good luck! - Mark

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys,
I saw one of these yesterday and thought one of you might like it!
The hardest part of finding an existing spoiler that might fit the convertible trunk lid is the fact that most sedan spoilers are made for flat trunk lids. This pretty much means the feet or legs won't be tall enough to hold it over the sculptured "bulge" in the center of the convertible's trunk lid high enough to clear the LED light bar. (I'm committed to keeping the light bar.) Additionally, the overall dimensions are critical as the convertible's trunk like is wide and the light bar needs 40" minimum to clear. If I can find a Cadillac like the one you spotted, I'll give it a measure. (I always have a tape with me.) I've seen a couple more on other cars that I'm going to look for and measure too, in case they turn out to be good prospects. And, I found another common paint that might be even closer to the red my car is and I'm anxious to try it. Thanks again. - Mark

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just threw it out there as an option. The guy passed me on the street...and I wondered if it might work fo you? If I were into looking at this I think I would toss the vert led light and use the caddy led light bar. Then I could fill the concave shape of the deck lid and also use the center leg on the spoiler? Great Mark... don’t give up on your idea! That is what I like to see.....different ideas!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Mark, gimme your thoughts, test fitting of course. It will be mounted to the 3rd brake light lame ass spoiler with double sided tape, no drilling! Will still have full use of the third brake light and original spoiler will basically be the foundation for the upper spoiler and when painted will look very similar to the hammerhead spoiler on the coup it's a perfect fit to be honest I couldn't believe how well it blends with the back of the car. What do you think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Btw I got the spoiler from pull a part here in Birmingham, Al. It's from a Saturn Aura. It was attached with 2 bolts and 2 nuts respectively. Very easy to remove and actually hollow so it's incredibly light! It had 2 studs inboard for the mounting nuts and 2 nutplates outboard for the bolts. Removing the studs was easy.... Basically used vice grips and unscrewed them. The curve of the factory light bar matches the bottom mounting surface of the spoiler nearly perfectly. I am not a fan of drilling into the trunk lid either so having the factory spoiler to support it is great. As far as marrying the 2 with 3m automotive tape, well I'm not committed to that yet. I have burnt LEDs in my spoiler so along with adding the new spoiler I'm also going to replace my LEDs with a red LED strip that will flash for braking as well as flow left and right for signaling/hazards. As I said previously, Im glad I won't have to drill in the trunk to attach the spoiler God knows there's already four holes for the original spoiler so what ideas do you guys have for marrying the two? J-B weld or an epoxy resin of some type? Thoughts please. Tanks for the love y'all!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great plans. I'll start looking locally for one. As for adhesive, I love JBWeld, but it's not flexible and cracks if stressed. Molding tape is unbelievably strong. You just need enough contact area. Thanks again for sharing the donor car information. — Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts