Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yep. You can slap over into manual mode at any speed. Just use common sense {ie, Down shifting at 100mph= nothing good}

Mark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanx guys i had been to scared to try, i look in the owners manual and
i couldnt find it in there. but now im going to try. now will go to the correct gear or a lower one, i guess ill find out.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
i couldnt find it in there. but now im going to try. now will go to the correct gear or a lower one, i guess ill find out.
As far as mine goes, it'll go to the gear you're currently in. But don't blame me if your car blows up! :eek::D

·
Registered
77 Posts

On my way home from work I did it at 75mph. I just put into manual mode I did not down shift. It said it was in M4 on the gauge cluster just like it was in drive. I wouldn't downshift at that speed. ;)

Mark.

·
Registered
77 Posts
^^Yea I can count the number of times I've used manual mode on one hand. It's nice to have but I hardly ever use it. I used it the other day for this thread.

Mark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey ya'll my 07 has a auto trani with a manuel sport shift, my question is
can i shift it from drive to the manuel mode while driving highway speeds?
Cmon guys, we live in the 21st century! It wont let you downshift if it will go over the rev limited which is at 6000 rpm. It may not even let you if it will go over 5000 rpm. My moms 2000 pontiac grand am wouldnt even let you :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Cmon guys, we live in the 21st century! It wont let you downshift if it will go over the rev limited which is at 6000 rpm. It may not even let you if it will go over 5000 rpm. My moms 2000 pontiac grand am wouldnt even let you :)
Yea I know very well how to use it but I just don't use it.

Mark.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i agree, it's kinda hard to do sumthing u're not sure will kill ur car, but i swear all pontiacs that have manual mode can switch between drive and manual withou difficulties, jus listen to ur car an watch ur rpms.

:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
So in my 07 GT i can do about 45 in first then round 80 in second, havent got to test outt he top ends in 3rd or fourth. BUt i know in normal driving on the highway the car downshifts to 3rd and occasionally second for some passing manuvers. So yes you could downshift to 3rd at highway speed and possibly second depeding on your speed but go with blkgtpconvtgirl and watch ur rpms

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
Reading about everyone's fears of manual mode makes me feel like a bad person. I use (and abuse) it regularly. I make a habit of slapping it into manual, downshifting into first and taking off through turns, on ramps, etc. like a bat out of hell, then shifting just before redline or tossing it back in drive when I hit my desired speed.. whichever comes first. And mine's put up with that kinda abuse for a while so... if I haven't broken it, chances are you won't :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
On my way home from work I did it at 75mph. I just put into manual mode I did not down shift. It said it was in M4 on the gauge cluster just like it was in drive. I wouldn't downshift at that speed. ;)

Mark.
Yup, there's a lockout to prevent over reving the engine, but it will, as you slow down, downshift in a safe zone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts