Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Starter

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  miscreant 
#1 ·
It's happend twice already, when i start the car with the key it turns over for a few seconds by itself. Its really starting to concern me :confused:

Has anybody had/has this problem yet, the car is only a week old.

Cheers!!

#4 ·
Same problem, mine does it quite often, probably 1 out of 5 starts. Sounds shitty and extremely annoying.

#5 ·
i think I have finally found out how to avoid this problem from ocurring. It's hard to get myself to do it, because in a car with a "normal" starter it would not start the car if you did this. But if you will just quickly turn the key and immediately release, the problem will not occur. Or it has not ocurred for me yet while doing this. It feels like you are not turning far enough/long enough to start the car, but it will. And it seems to eliminate the "over crank".

#9 · (Edited)
Don't Get Me Wrong... American Built isn't all bad!

I agree to a point. The big 3 is now the big two with Ford and GM being the last American owned companies since Chrysler was bought out by the Germans at Daimler Benz. Therefore they should be doing a better job on quality. Quality seems to be a backburner issue today with these companies unless you are driving a $50k > ride from them. Hell, Ford trucks are burning to the ground and in garages and parking lots all over the country over a small cruise control sensor defect so thank your lucky stars we are GM owners.

In my experience, (Disclaimer: Nothing personal to any American union workers) it seems that Detriot area/Canadian-based UAW represented plants have far higher defects than say non-union plants. Seems that disgruntled and constantly striking union workers build bad cars.

However, IMHO some of the finer cars made come from America (Corvettes, Cadillacs, Vipers, Panoz, 300C et al) and make me proud to be American. It's really based on what you can afford quality-wise. It is a shame that the American work-ethic and quality control isn't what it used to be when Detriot was the envy of the automotive universe in the 1950s and 60s. Most American cars built during that time frame where built to be dependable and last. With some exceptions, it's all about selling service after the sell today.

#11 ·
I have been having this problem on and off since I purchased the car back in Feb 2005. However last night I went outside to auto start my car and it started making the most horrible sound I have ever heard. It seemed like the starter was stuck and kept trying to start the car. I had to run out to the car, put the key in and turn it on then turn it off to get the cranking sound to stop. When I tried starting the car again it would not start at all. Just made a horrible sound. I have taken it to the dealer twice for the first problem. They said its normal, and from what I have read here that sounds right unfortunatly. But what about the other problem that just happend last night. Has anyone else seen this happen? I have had a similar problem before with an older car I owned and the starter ended up needing replaced. Thinking the same thing here. Funny thing is that while all this was going on last night my cd player kept trying to change cd's but it couldn't. Sounded like gears grinding, yuck!, and it would not change\play\eject cd's at all. Mind you this is when the car was off. Did it through out the night, and was still doing it in the morning when I came out to try starting the car again?????

#13 ·
FWIW, I've never had a PCM-controlled starter work right. Even in Porsche Cayennes, they would sound horrible sometimes, coming back into service for the same problems as listed above.

Believe it or not, some of the "problems" are actually better on the engine, and why the PCM causes the problems. For instance, in the Cayenne, the PCM uses sensors to see if the engine should ignite the cyclinders immediately, or allow the crank to crank a few cycles to "wash" the internals first, then ignite. What will happen is that the engine will crank a couple times, then start. It "sounds" like it's not starting, but it's actually running a couple crank cycles then starts. I had a prelube system back in the 1990s that did the same thing.

IMHO, there's alot more going on inside the G6's system which is why sometimes it does not immediately start.

#15 ·
GTPGuy82 said:
Wouldn't that ruin the teeth on the starter and/or flywheel?

Mike
Shouldn't. Unless the engine is seizing/seized or there's some other resistance, it shouldn't hurt it at all. If it did it all the time, everytime you started it, then yes. But I'd say it happens for me at least, once out of every 10 starts at most.

What I plan to do is test the voltage at the coil when it does it, I bet the coils dead while it's cycling the crank like that.

Again, pure speculation :cool: .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.