Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 2005 Pontiac G6 GT for a couple months now... it runs perfectly fine, drives amazingly. It has 172k miles.

Only a couple issues, one of them I'm eager to resolve: when starting the car, I MUST push the gas a little for it to actually start.
If I just put my foot on the brakes or just turn the key, it'll just keep trying to start but will end up failing.
It will only fully start when pushing the gas a little.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I've ran fuel injector treatment through it multiple times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had this 2005 Pontiac G6 GT for a couple months now... it runs perfectly fine, drives amazingly. It has 172k miles.

Only a couple issues, one of them I'm eager to resolve: when starting the car, I MUST push the gas a little for it to actually start.
If I just put my foot on the brakes or just turn the key, it'll just keep trying to start but will end up failing.
It will only fully start when pushing the gas a little.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I've ran fuel injector treatment through it multiple times.
Dude I’m having the exact same issue! I just bought spark plugs a new air filter and I’m going to do an oil change and fluid change this weekend. I bought the car used last Thursday with 164k+ miles and it’s a dream besides that and other small things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude I’m having the exact same issue! I just bought spark plugs a new air filter and I’m going to do an oil change and fluid change this weekend. I bought the car used last Thursday with 164k+ miles and it’s a dream besides that and other small things.
The first weekend I had the car, I did an oil change and put in a new air filter. The previous owners used conventional and I had put in full synthetic. That didn't make any difference at all really. The car still does it to this day, and it's kind of annoying to press the gas while starting the car. It's almost like not enough air is getting to the engine to start it, and when you open the throttle a little then it starts like it should. Any ideas anybody?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can confirm taking apart throttle body and cleaning with carb cleaner fixed the issue, and changing spark plugs. It was disgusting the amount of carb build up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can confirm taking apart throttle body and cleaning with carb cleaner fixed the issue, and changing spark plugs. It was disgusting the amount of carb build up.
Thank you. I'm going to try this out when I get the time. I figured it had something to do with the throttle body or the idle air control valve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Air conditioner

This is throwing me.I tested the power plug with a test light going straight into the compressor and there's no power.I checked all fuses that said anything dealing with the air conditioner including the a/c relay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you need to hold throttle open a bit on a cold start it means the engine is lean on fuel. Giving it s little pedal input makes the fuel injectors pulse more, and finally the engine has enough fuel to start.
Possible you have a dirty mass air flow, but the engine should still start. I would be very suspicious that you have a weak fuel pump. Don’t think this car has a fuel filter, so probably a worn out fuel pump.
Once the car is running it warms and needs much less fuel, so it probably runs fairly good. This is just an early warning that your fuel pump is probably on its way out. Don’t get stranded!
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can confirm you are completely right! Took apart throttle body and jeez it was a mess. But car starts like it should now! So much more convenient. It's the little things that matter :grin2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you need to hold throttle open a bit on a cold start it means the engine is lean on fuel. Giving it s little pedal input makes the fuel injectors pulse more, and finally the engine has enough fuel to start.
Possible you have a dirty mass air flow, but the engine should still start. I would be very suspicious that you have a weak fuel pump. Don’t think this car has a fuel filter, so probably a worn out fuel pump.
Once the car is running it warms and needs much less fuel, so it probably runs fairly good. This is just an early warning that your fuel pump is probably on its way out. Don’t get stranded!
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts