Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had the motor replaced on my 2005 G6 GT due to a key breaking between the cam shaft and the crank shaft. I was driving through the mountains in the snow and pulled over at the rest stop to use the restroom. When I used the remote start to try and restrat the car the engine started jumping and cranking wierd. I quickly got in and turned it off. When I tried to restart it would just keep cranking without turning over. Got a tow to dealer and a new engine in two weeks.

Before the motor went bad, this happend first at a ski resort. It appears to happen in could weather on a second start when the motor is warm. The first time the engine didnt break.

Now it has recently happened again, second start in cold weather, but i turned off the engine quickly since I was in the car. I don't use remote start anymore.

This start is somewhat different than the over crank that does occasionally happen. The second cold start seems to be a timing issue with the cylinders firing wrong, if that could happen?

Anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow, that sounds serious.

You make it sound like it's the same problem all over again. Personally, I would take it into the dealer and let them have a go at it. If they couldn't fix it, I'd try and kill the second engine the same way the first one went. Then I'd get a new car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car occassionally seems to be a bit pissy about turning over. Unfortunately it happens both with remote start and with a traditional key based start so there's no way to peg it on one process over the other. It always eventually turns over, but sometimes it takes awhile to get there and I start to panic, remembering how my last car started with similiar symptoms and went downhill from there.

I'm in central TX, so it's not a cold weather issue for me, and it seems to happen only sporadically. When I took it to the dealership, one of their happy helpers wrote it up as "low power during start" and of course, they were unable to recreate it. At the same time however, they fixed an electrical problem in my car (only obvious as maplights were not working) and since picking it back up (within the last month), I've not yet had another starting issue.

So sorry to hear your car has been such a nightmare!
~Heidi

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only starting issue I had in 15 000 KM's is 2 or 3 times the enginine starter was engaged a bit to long. both with remote start and key. Doesn;t seem like a problem as the engine starts right up and the starter does not make that grinding noise so I doub't its harming anything.
Your issue sounds like a misfire or something alnog those lines.
Bring her in again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had this problem as well...sometimes it overcranks...but very sporadically....however today it cranked and didn't start at all...I am starting to get worried....if I keep having problems, I'm selling it and getting a Cadillac instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts