Pontiac G6 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
I had my wifes car looked at for this problem. The dealership found the pressure regulator was flaky in the tank. They where getting flaky fuel pressure readings. i know gm 1/2 ton pickups with the 5.3L are notorious for having failing pressure regulators(my 2000 silverado did the same thing)
Personally if your mechanic or dealer tells you its normal or deal with it tell them bye bye and find a new dealer that will actually troubleshoot the problem. The car sat at the dealer all day when they found that problem and a few others.

· Registered
16 Posts
Fuel pump pressure regulator was replaced no starting problems yet. Intermediate steering shaft and power steering module replaced. Steering is no normal. This past weekend we looked at a 06 GP GXP stealer let us keep it for the weekend. Sweet car had everything but dvd nav. Tooo bad stealer wouldn't budge on the price...oh well as long as the G6 runs well and continue to fall apart it'll stay.

· Registered
61 Posts
I've regularly had this issue also. Both with my 2003 Grand Am and my 2005 G6 GT. With the Grand Am I just figured it was due to the aged battery not providing quiet enough juice to start up right away but with the G6 seems like it might have to due with the fuel pump priming up. The G6 does it most frequently when I drive the car somewhere, shut it off, then start it back up shortly after (for example, stopping at the post office -- the car will be off for 5 minutes or so and will somewhat struggle to get going again). I call it the Warm Engine Syndrome.

Although it's a bit embarrassing for me, the G6 has never failed to start, it just takes a lot of cranking to get going sometimes. My hypothesis is that the fuel pump takes time to get fuel back up to the engine.

One time, on a cool night of about 40 degrees I used the remote start and the car took about 15 seconds to start. It just keep cranking and cranking and when it did start a puff of smoke came out of the tailpipe. That is the worst I've seen but I was impressed that the car didn't quit and did manage to start itself after all that. This again was with my Warm Engine Syndrome.

I don't know if the car ever has trouble with a cold engine, I usually remote start the car from a distance, like when I'm inside my apartment, and it'll always been running when I get outside.

· Registered
195 Posts
haha ... yeah i guess i'll be like the rest of you guys and say that it has happened on my G6 ... sometimes it does twice in a row ... don't see a big problem ... it's annoying sometimes when i try to start my car from the appartment using remote start and i don't know if it started or not ...

· Registered
5 Posts
BUMP

Same problem with my 06 G6 with the 3.5. Has anyone pinpointed this problem to the fuel pressure regulator, bad plugs, or starter? I took it to the dealership and they said its normal, it will continue cranking til it starts. This is happening about once a week and starting to piss me off.

· Registered
6 Posts
G6 fails to start

I have this problem frequently where it conitnually cranks and then stops but if you turn the key off and back on again it starts. I already replaced the battery because the dealership insisted the battery was the problem but don't see a battery needing replaced after just two years.

· Registered
9 Posts
I've had my '06 G6 for two days now. Went out to dinner last night and tried to use remote start leaving the restaurant. The starter ran for almost 20 seconds and the engine didn't catch. I got in and started it with the key, and the starter ran for another 10 seconds. Second crank I gave it some gas and it finally turned over and ideled rough for a few seconds before it calmed down.

From reading this post, it sounds like everyone is having relatively similar problems but there's not a widely accepted solution. Just a bunch of theories. I want to take it to the dealership to have it checked out. What should I tell them to look for?

Again... I have to ask... did I buy a Lemon?

· ^I R CUSTOM^
77 Posts
The general consensus, which makes the most sense, is that the fuel pump needs a few seconds to prime.

For remote start, I would just attempt a 2 second start, wait about 10 seconds, then do a full start and I bet that would lessen your problem.

Lemon? I'm not sure...have you had other problems?

· Registered
9 Posts
Lemon? I'm not sure...have you had other problems?
I'm also experiencing the popping/rattling issue with my steering that several other G6 owners have complained about. Its VERY frustrating, considering I bought the car just 3 days ago.

It sounds like both the steering and starter issues are prevalent among G6 owners, even those who bought their cars new. I gotta tell ya... if I had found this forum and read all this stuff before Friday, I would NOT have bought this car.

· GTP 06
588 Posts
hmm

I've had my '06 G6 for two days now. Went out to dinner last night and tried to use remote start leaving the restaurant. The starter ran for almost 20 seconds and the engine didn't catch. I got in and started it with the key, and the starter ran for another 10 seconds. Second crank I gave it some gas and it finally turned over and ideled rough for a few seconds before it calmed down.

From reading this post, it sounds like everyone is having relatively similar problems but there's not a widely accepted solution. Just a bunch of theories. I want to take it to the dealership to have it checked out. What should I tell them to look for?

Again... I have to ask... did I buy a Lemon?
My GTP does the same. I think that its not the fuel, but the coil pack. You say that it cranks and cranks and finally starts and runs rough as if it were flooded. I think it was cranking gas into the cylinders with no spark then when you get spark its flooded and runs rough.

· Premium Member
643 Posts
In my experience I've only had a problem starting once. I thought I heard the engine catch but when I tried to back out had no power and when I tried to start it up again it took a little bit of gas and about 5 seconds to start.

I've had no problems at all with the remote start not catching...again maybe just my luck

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.