Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just bought a set of steelies for the winter time and don't like many hub caps they look tacky. However I want to protect my hubs from the horrible salt and who knows what else the state put on these CNY roads. Any suggestions on where to get something. I see police cars with the chrome center caps and wonder if they were vehicle specific. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I would suggest giving them a good scuffing or sanding, then hit em nice and well with primer sealer. Once dry apply a nice black or any other color if you want. You can then apply a clear coat to give it some shine. That's what I did. You could also do that sealer primer with a coat of enamel paint.

I also painted the center of the hubs and axle nut ends black so it all looked nice, then I would suggest getting closed end lug nuts, make sure they are tapered to still seat with the rim and be secure, but use closed end nuts so water can't get in and rust the lugs to the studs, anti-seize works too. Also the closed end lugs look nicer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea. I found a set of closed black lug nuts so that I won't have to paint them only 26 bucks. But I think I'm definitely going to paint the hubs so it looks sleek.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with cruisin. I took my steelies and sanded them down then used a coat of primer. After that I painted them black with a couple coats of black enamel paint and 2 coats of clear. Came out looking like brand new rims and get compliments on them all the time! You can also tape off your steelies and add a stripe along the edge of the rim. I have seen a few people do that as well. All personal preference!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I agree with cruisin. I took my steelies and sanded them down then used a coat of primer. After that I painted them black with a couple coats of black enamel paint and 2 coats of clear. Came out looking like brand new rims and get compliments on them all the time! You can also tape off your steelies and add a stripe along the edge of the rim. I have seen a few people do that as well. All personal preference!
I'm rocking the stripe around the lip, but that's just vinyl pin-striping ha

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I have decided I'm going to paint the rims to look nicer but here's my question. I have TPMS in my stock alloys. If I remove them till spring will the batteries inside die? I don't want to have to replace 4 sensors in the spring. And is there anything out there to fool the computer to think the sensors are still attached so the light won't constantly be on?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
They may or may not last its hard to say. Best idea I've seen is to get some PVC tubing and cement. Attach an air fitting from a bike tire tube and just throw the sensors in there. Pump it up to 30 psi, make sure no leaks and just pop it in the trunk by your spare.

When your done it may look like a weird pipe bomb but its effective.

·
live life at redline
25 Posts
another option would be to plasti dip them. you could do any color combo and it wouldn't be permanent but would still help protect the wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
You could also wrap them in vinyl! But that's a GREAT way to make you hate vinyl and wheels and probably say a lot of nasty words....

·
Registered
63 Posts
The sensors will not die any quicker if they aren't being used. Actually they should last longer. When they aren't turning they hibernate and shut off until moved again.

As far as the light, no, there is no way except what cruisin said...I had thought of doing this myself but I didn't like the idea of having a pressurized cylinder in the back of my car lol. I'm a wimp! Or you could buy another set of sensors and install them in the steelies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts