Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going for a black out look with my white G6 and I'm still on steelies. I like them actually but they are rusty in some spots and in need of a paint job. I could sand them but... The rust is where the spoke connects to the outer part of the wheel. How do you even get to that with sandpaper and what should I do to prep them for paint?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I run steelies myself. Sand them and scuff them the best you can. Prep is everything. Then hit it with a good coat of sealer primer. This will stop rust from worsening and looking crappy. Then you can hit it with the color you want. After that you can add clear coat to really make em shine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you use to sand them? The points of the spokes look so difficult to get into with any credible sanding? Hand sanded, Sand block, Angle grinder with wire or sand wheel, or etc.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Oh we just got a scuffing pad (similar to what is on the back of a sponge) (available at auto and hardware stores in the paint section) and just went over it all by hand as best as I could. I didn't worry to much about the spaces between the spokes and the barrel. I put a real good coat of sealer primer on and have yet to see any rust peaking out.

You can only get so far with sanding/scuffing.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
A roll of painters tape. Tucked between the rim and tire, then I just taped off the rest of the sidewall. Black or not it looks cleaner when its done right.

I've also seen people use a deck of cards, stick em standing up between the rim and tire, but then you have limited working room.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just needed to know how you kept the paint from the tires. I am putting on some wheel spacers soon (because I like when the tires are closer to being flush with the body of the g6 because it looks nice) and I have a new impact that I'm itching to test out. I'm gonna take off the wheels and do an in depth tread inspection and check my brake pads... Lots of stuff to do... while I wait for my paint to dry :D

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I just used a roll of Scotch blue painters tape. Like I said tuck the edge between the rim and tire and just tape off the tire.
I got some 1inch spacers myself. But the studs hit the back of the wheel. So I got shorter lugs for it and have to cut down all 20 studs about 1/4 of an inch and I should be golden. I also plan to roll my fenders in preparation for flushness and to thwart rubbing issues...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts