Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this i a fun one. When the wheel is center a ypu move it to the right just a bit there is a click and what feels like a small pop in the wheel. It does not do this at all going to the left. And it feels like its right there in the wheel or column, driving is unafected by it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Steering

Just purchased a 2008 G6 with 40,100 miles on it over President's Day weekend. Also purchased the 3 year/36,000 miles warranty, and I'm freaking out about the steering thing. While driving it I noticed a "clunking" in the steering while turning. Upon searching the internet I discovered that this is a common problem with the Electronic Power Steering offered in these GM vehicles. "Shoulda stuck with my first choice of an '08 Malibu" is what keeps running through my head. But the wife had to have the G6. :rolleyes: So far, the steering itself hasn't gone all 'Knight Rider' just yet. But I did notice that it felt like the power steering was 'out' while driving through a parking lot. Haven't had to do the manual steering thing since the eighties. Yeah that sucked. So here I am now with the car the wife had to have, most likely having to go back to the GM dealer to begin fighting with them over a steering issue that should have been recalled for safety reasons years ago. Thanx GM. Hey don't we(americans) still own a piece of this damn company? Oh yeah, and now I figure out that the speakers in the front doors aren't 'missing' but that the amp/crossover unit is probably toast. :mad: This keeps getting better and better....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
392 Posts
At least you have a warranty. Get it all fixed, good luck!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Just purchased a 2008 G6 with 40,100 miles on it over President's Day weekend. Also purchased the 3 year/36,000 miles warranty, and I'm freaking out about the steering thing. While driving it I noticed a "clunking" in the steering while turning. Upon searching the internet I discovered that this is a common problem with the Electronic Power Steering offered in these GM vehicles. "Shoulda stuck with my first choice of an '08 Malibu" is what keeps running through my head. But the wife had to have the G6. :rolleyes: So far, the steering itself hasn't gone all 'Knight Rider' just yet. But I did notice that it felt like the power steering was 'out' while driving through a parking lot. Haven't had to do the manual steering thing since the eighties. Yeah that sucked. So here I am now with the car the wife had to have, most likely having to go back to the GM dealer to begin fighting with them over a steering issue that should have been recalled for safety reasons years ago. Thanx GM. Hey don't we(americans) still own a piece of this damn company? Oh yeah, and now I figure out that the speakers in the front doors aren't 'missing' but that the amp/crossover unit is probably toast. :mad: This keeps getting better and better....... :rolleyes:
"Clunking" is a problem involving the intermediate steering shaft & not the EPS. The Malibu & many other GM models use the same ISS & have the same problem.

If you are also experiencing hard steering wheel turning that is an EPS issue.

Both of these issues are very well known & should have been taken care of by the selling dealer prior to the sale.

Total cost of repair for both issues is pushing $1000 so I hope that warranty covers it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my problem isnt a cluck its a click. We had an 05 cobalt that had the power steering issue where it would go out. The g6 is different, its a click and only to the right and only just from center. Ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts