Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
**Amber **
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had received a paper in the mail from GM a few months ago about them recalling the steering and I have to take it in to the dealership and they will fix it.

but I was very busy at the time, lost the paper and not sure if it has to go to a certain dealership. or how i do it.

does anyone know anything about this?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Go to any Pontiac or GM dealership and tell them that you have been receiving these lockup symptoms. They will offer to fix it under warranty. Done. You don't need the paper since GM sends bulletins to all the dealerships about this stuff.

The paper would make the process easier, but it isn't required. I had to get my dealership to ship the parts in since they didn't have the parts locally.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i had received a paper in the mail from GM a few months ago about them recalling the steering and I have to take it in to the dealership and they will fix it.

but I was very busy at the time, lost the paper and not sure if it has to go to a certain dealership. or how i do it.

just take your car in to any gm dealer they will run your vin to check for recalls and fix it

·
Registered
21 Posts

2005 G6 and some 2006 G6 were recalled for electric power steering intermittant failure. So depending on year and VIN, there may be an actual recall or just a service bulletin about greasing to get rid of clunking in linkage. But any GM dealer can tell you what has been recalled, if anything, on your vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Posted this elsewhere.... though i'd copy/paste here as well...

There is a TSB (10183) that will replace a faulty electric power steering assist up to 100,000 miles. Not sure why that's not a sticky somewhere. Maybe it is, i'm new here :)

here's the official Doc / Letter to owners.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2010/CSC-10033624-5786.pdf

Not technically a "recall" -- but its an coverage adjustment

Make : PONTIAC Model : G6 Year : 2006
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : SB-10183 Date of Bulletin : JUL 01, 2010
NHTSA Item Number : 10033624
Component : STEERING:ELECTRIC POWER ASSIST SYSTEM
Summary :
SATURN/PONTIAC/CHEVROLET: SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT-POWER STEERING ASSIST. SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ELECTRIC POWER STEERING MAY EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSIST CAUSED BY ELECTRICAL INPUT SIGNALS WITHIN THE STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts