Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there's a whole subforum on this issue, but I thought I'd ask this where there's more traffic. I was strongly considering a 2006 Ecotec G6 and probably would have bought one this week, but the steering lock-up issue
scared me out of it. For obvious reasons, I'd hate to buy a death trap.

Is there any consensus on this? Did GM correct the problem for 2006?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
G6Action said:
i don't recall ANYONE with the ecotech having that complaint, regardless of the year. it seemed to be only on the 3.5L V6.
Perhaps so, but don't ecotec cars use the same electric steering system? Also, maybe the lack of complaints is the result of there simply being far fewer 4-cylinder owners out there. From what I understand, at least 90% of the G6 sales last year were V6 units.

· Registered
114 Posts
Aardvark said:
Perhaps so, but don't ecotec cars use the same electric steering system? Also, maybe the lack of complaints is the result of there simply being far fewer 4-cylinder owners out there. From what I understand, at least 90% of the G6 sales last year were V6 units.
they didn't even have the ecotect until late in the year.

the 2.4 is in the ion, cobalt, solstice, hhr and G6, maybe malibu too.

they've been using the electronic steering system with most of the ecotec cars since after the sunfire and cavi, and the G6 is the ONLY car i've heard of the issue with. i think it is a calbration issue with the 3.5, but i'm not an engineer for GM...

· Registered
54 Posts
Vita said:
they didn't even have the ecotect until late in the year.

the 2.4 is in the ion, cobalt, solstice, hhr and G6, maybe malibu too.

they've been using the electronic steering system with most of the ecotec cars since after the sunfire and cavi, and the G6 is the ONLY car i've heard of the issue with. i think it is a calbration issue with the 3.5, but i'm not an engineer for GM...
So far only Epsilons (Malibu, G6) and Deltas (Cobalt, Ion, Pursuit, HHR) have EPS. Cavalier and Sunfires have hydraulic and NEVER had EPS. And the Ecotec 2.4 wasn't ready till later in MY2006.

Malibus never got the 2.4L.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.