Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having some issues with the steering. Right now she's at about 41200kms.

When I brake from from highway speed, steering starts from around 100km/h, slight vibration, then larger vibration at around 60-50km/h, then vibration damps out. Slight pulsation of the brake pedal at around the same speeds, same intensity variation as well, but very slight. It doesn't seem to happen if I'm braking at low speeds, only highway.

I did some basic diagnostics, rotated the tires and checked the tire pressure, doesn't seem to cut it. My rotors and brake pads are pretty new as well, got a new set on all 4 wheels last Summer.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks.

· Pontiac Enthusiast
53 Posts
So I'm having some issues with the steering. Right now she's at about 41200kms.

When I brake from from highway speed, steering starts from around 100km/h, slight vibration, then larger vibration at around 60-50km/h, then vibration damps out. Slight pulsation of the brake pedal at around the same speeds, same intensity variation as well, but very slight. It doesn't seem to happen if I'm braking at low speeds, only highway.

I did some basic diagnostics, rotated the tires and checked the tire pressure, doesn't seem to cut it. My rotors and brake pads are pretty new as well, got a new set on all 4 wheels last Summer.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks.
Yeah... your rotors are warped.. you need them machined or just get another set of rotors.. I know you checked them and everything, but trust me.. they are warped.. guaranteed...

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's in the shop right now, so will see how that turns out. I personally agree with everyone, it's the rotors warping, but it was the shop owner saying it wasn't, but the mechanic agrees with me though.

Thanks guys.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would check; rotors for out of roundness, and does the car feel like the front end wants to come loose when going over speed bumps?
Doesn't come loose, but it's like the steering is knocking and vibrating. Also I notice sometimes (like once in about few hundred) when it goes over speedbumps, or if I brake a tad bit harder while turning, it makes a distinctive "pinging" sound, but I think that might be a separate issue.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so the shop got back to me, checked my rotors, there is some slight imbalance in the rotors, but it's not the cause. They suspected the intermediate U-shaft, and asked me to send back to the dealer.

Now since I have sent the car back for the bulletins saying this was a problem, is there a slim chance I can get them fixed under "warranty", even though I don't have any left? They already fore-warned me that if I don't fix this under warranty I can look at several hundred, parts alone.

· Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
A dealership can "goodwill" a service/repair or not...it is a 50/50 shot...most of the times if the time the warranty expires is not too far from the present, that shouldn't be a problem.

· Lead Foot
67 Posts
i have a wobble in my steering at highway speed, but i thought it was just misalignment. is there a chance i could have this problem too? if so, is it worth it to have a GM dealer check it out? i still have warranty on it, i think.

· Registered
6 Posts
I also have this problem, especially when I am going down hill. If I am going on the highway and going around 70 or 75 mph and start to slow I will get a slight shimmy just like that but most of the time it is when I'm going down hill. Is this the same thing?

· Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
A wobble could be a bent rim, wheels that need balancing.
If the car is still under warranty then deffinetly take it in and let them look at it.
It could also be a rotor issue.
I would start with either the dealership inspection or check balance and roundness of wheels.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went back to the dealership since they fixed my steering in the past, turns out it's a bad steering column. It was replaced under goodwill warranty and everything's all good.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.