Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or does anyone know if you can swap out the 3 spoke steering wheel from a Saturn Aura with paddle shift into a G6?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interested in this too...
Would have to look into the wiring to see how and where the paddle shifters are wired into the body, engine or transmission control module. The malibu had paddle shifters available as well. I am sure it could be done, but hopefully no programming is needed if the module would recognize the paddle shift input. My 07 GTP has the tap shift on the console shift lever. I would assume that the up/down sift input from the shift lever could be spliced into the paddle shifters to send the same signal to the TCM and accomplish the same goal.
This sounds like a challenge! Malibu and Saturn paddle shift steering wheels are all over eBay for about $75. If the wiring looks doable I think I would try this just to see if it can be done! Don't know why Pontiac didn't offer the paddles, but now thinking about this I really want them. The 6 speed is a ton of fun to drive in M mode, the paddles would make much more sense than slamming the stick fire and aft!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looking into this deeper. I have an 07 GTP 3.6 DOHC w/ 6T tapshift transmission.

It's an addiction I have to upgrade features into older cars, especially if I can do it and make it look OEM, and I would love to put this upgrade into my G6 cruiser!

So Question:
Have been browsing the forums looking at the topic of adding steering wheel paddle shift to older model G6 cars with 6T tapshift transmission.
I am ready to dive into this because I frequently use the manual tapshift function with the console shifter and have always wished I could have paddles to up/down shift with the steering wheel.
Info I have found is that in addition to having a steering wheel with paddle shifter pads, I need a compatible clockspring so I have the correct terminals to run the paddle shift switch signal wire to tap into the tapshift wire at the console shifter.

This should allow me to manually up/down shift using the S/W paddles or stock tapshift console gear selector.

Can anyone offer advice before I order parts? I have found an '09 Saturn Aura steering wheel (leather with all DIC/radio switches and paddles) column with clockspring.
Is this all the hardware I need? I realize I will need to add some wiring to connect everything. I have access to GM service info online, so wiring is not a problem. Just looking for advice from anyone who has done this mod previously and could add some advice before I dive in!

Thanks!!!
~Shawn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did finally get my paddle switches installed and working. Just going to give a quick update to how I did it for anyone possibly interested in this upgrade for your older model G6 with the 6T70 transaxle.

I purchased a used steering column with wheel from a 2009 Saturn. The column came complete with the steering wheel, clockspring, paddle shifters and steering wheel harness - which you all need.

I kept my original steering wheel (leather was in better shape) I installed in my car the Saturn clockspring (has pins for paddle shift switches, G6 had pin missing for this feature) I transferred the rear steering wheel cover with openings for paddle shift and installed the paddle shift switches. My G6 steering wheel had the screw hole provisions for the paddle shift, but needed to change the rear cover to install them or else you could cut the holes of you have a steady hand. I used the Saturn cover since I had it!
The Saturn steering wheel harness is wired for the DIC info button on the steering wheel. I already have upgraded to the 2010 instrument cluster with the DIC so I didn't have to change any pin positions with this harness, just plug and play.
If you still have the pre-2009.5 cluster without driver info you will have to change pin positions in the harness to allow your cruise cancel button to work (if you are doing the paddle shift update, it's well worth doing the cluster upgrade as well. It's cheap, and allows you to add aftermarket radio and retain the DIC in your cluster instead of radio display - lots of info on the forms here in the cluster update so won't go into more detail).
Anyway...
After installing the steering wheel paddle switches and clockspring I needed to add a pin to the rear side of the clockspring (purple wire pin#9). This wire needs to be run to the purple wire that goes to the TCM. I tapped into the purple wire at the square connector behind the LH headlight under the hood. (I didn't want to tear my center console apart. You can tap this same circuit at the column shifter under the center console, but didn't feel like pulling a bunch of plastic panels apart and loosen or break clips causing rattles! Also this connector under the hood is in the open and easy to access). First I just spliced into the circuit, thinking I could use the paddle shifters or the console shift knob both to control my shifts. I found out this doesn't work. I had to disconnect the purple wire coming from the trans selector and run the wire coming from the clockspring directly to the TCM. With both circuits spliced together neither the paddle shifters, nor the console shifter would work. I backed the purple wire pin (pin A) out of the underhood connector and insulated it from shorting. I then installed the same terminal pin on the wire I ran from the clockspring and put into the connector and the paddle shifters now work perfectly. Just have to shift the console shifter into manual mode and let the fun begin. Only downfall is I lost the ability to use the console shifter to upshift/ downshift, but this is the reason I installed the paddle shift buttons in the first place!

So... summary:
Need to install the hardware (paddle switches, paddle switch compatible clockspring and associated wiring harness for the switches. Need to run only one wire (purple wire from backside of clockspring) and run this wire ultimately to the transmission control module, replacing the purple wire that originally came from your console transmission shift lever. You cannot splice into this wire, you need to cut or remove the console shift wire and run the wire from your paddle shifters in lieu of the console shift wire.

Long rambling, but will be happy to answer anyone's questions on this great upgrade. I have $100 invested for the cost of the salvaged steering column from a 2009 Saturn Aura. I have access to all GM wiring diagrams inline and do auto diagnostics/repair as a hobby, so I enjoy these projects. (I was a tech in a former life and have Master Auto and Master Truck technician certifications)
Good luck everyone and enjoy your Mods!

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts