Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
rwbooth said:
~Nikki~ just sent me a picture of her GTP with stock 16's on it for winter. I guess they do fit!
Well, that's good news. So now I can update my little matrix:

........16 steel...16 alum...17 alum...18 alum..
------------------------------------------------
4cyl...|....X....|....X....|....X....|....X**..|
------------------------------------------------
6cyl...|....X....|....X....|....X....|....X**..|
------------------------------------------------
GT.....|...no....|....X....|....X....|....X**..|
------------------------------------------------
GTP....|...no....|....X*...|....X*...|....X....|
------------------------------------------------

* Requires 27" tall tires (stock 16" and 17" tires are too short)
** Requires 1" shorter tires than stock, or PCM reprogram.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Can I ask, who was the IDIOT that decided to put summer only tires on this car? I looked at mine today and I too have summer only tires. They might be ok for someone in Florida or California, but for most of us that purchase these cars, this doesn't work out to well in the winter and I don't know about most of you, but I cannot afford to put winter tires on mine. :(

I have a new car with new tires, as do all of you, I personally don't expect to have to change tires in the winter on a new car. I only want to change tires if mine are worn out or in need of a replacement tire. That was just another GM flaw!! :eek: I guess I shouldn't be surprised!! :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Robyn P said:
Can I ask, who was the IDIOT that decided to put summer only tires on this car? I looked at mine today and I too have summer only tires. They might be ok for someone in Florida or California, but for most of us that purchase these cars, this doesn't work out to well in the winter and I don't know about most of you, but I cannot afford to put winter tires on mine. :(

I have a new car with new tires, as do all of you, I personally don't expect to have to change tires in the winter on a new car. I only want to change tires if mine are worn out or in need of a replacement tire. That was just another GM flaw!! :eek: I guess I shouldn't be surprised!! :rolleyes:
It's NOT just a GM flaw. Lots of manufacturers offer their higher performance vehicles with summer only tires.

My coupe came with "all seasons" but I still buy snow tires anyway. All season tires, to me, are no better in snow then summer high performance tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Its not just GM, the problem is that manufacturers put these summer only performance tires on cars that are not even close to high performance. Even a GTP is not a real high performance machine. A good set of all season touring tires would be more than adequate performance wise. Now a vette should probably have some sticky rubber, but its very uncessary in most cars. Its not like most people ever even come close to the limits of an all season tire in the summer. I think they just put them on there to give the impression of a high performance machine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
What the heck is this conversation about now?

Let me first apologize, but...It's on the window sticker and in the options book at the end of the freaking G6 brochure. If you have summer only tires, then you PAID $150 for them and they were an OPTION on your car, you should have known what you were buying! They are an OPTION, not standard equipment, so GM didn't "put them on this car," they were ordered that way and subsequently bought that way! :confused:

Secondly, what I wouldn't GIVE to have them. These LS's and most "all seasons" don't live up to my expectations. These LS's squeel and squirm like crazy, push hard into corners, etc. If you are really content with the LS's performance, then I'd kinda wonder why you bought a GTP in the first place. The GTP handles SOOO much better with the summers on.

Granted, there are some all-seasons that I wouldn't mind having either, but very few OEM tires ever have decent performance.

Everyone posts "how can I make my car handle better" and the answer is BETTER tires number one. Here GM gave us GTP owners a choice to have better tires (the RE050As are very good performance tires), and everyone's complaining??? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
miscreant said:
What the heck is this conversation about now?

Let me first apologize, but...It's on the window sticker and in the options book at the end of the freaking G6 brochure. If you have summer only tires, then you PAID $150 for them and they were an OPTION on your car, you should have known what you were buying! They are an OPTION, not standard equipment, so GM didn't "put them on this car," they were ordered that way and subsequently bought that way! :confused:

First off, obviously not everyone is as smart as you seem to be and second, obviously not everyone reads through the sticker with a fine tooth comb as you must do. I have NEVER bought a car where I had to see if it had all season tires on it, please, it was a cut corners deal. GM is Pontiac's source, so maybe I should have stated another Pontiac flaw, unless you would like to tell me that Pontiac did not put the tires on this car either, but you would think that since General Motors includes Pontiac that they would make sure things are done properly. Now if people are on here complaining about handling, don't you think that maybe they did not know that had an option for a different tire when purchasing the vehicle. I guess for those of us that don't read word for word the sticker, it's our own fault, but I still believe we shouldn't have too. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Robyn,
What brand tires do you actually have. I thought the Summer only tires were the 18" which was only available on the the GTP's, I could be wrong though.

Miscreant,
I have a GTP and I wanted the All season tires. Granted they are not as good as summer only tires, but I didnt want summer tires again since I had them on my 350z. They were great on that car when it was warm, but once it get below 50 degrees, Its like your riding on rocks and they dont grip very well. And forget about even moving in snow.
I didnt want to buy another set of tires to use for just a few months. If I didnt live in NY, I would have gotten the summer only tires.
I still love this car even without the summer tires

I agree with JP375. This is a sporty car, not a sports car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
rwbooth said:
~Nikki~ just sent me a picture of her GTP with stock 16's on it for winter. I guess they do fit!

Haha yep! I'm rollin on those 16s with Hanook winter tires. Everything is fine!

And yeah, I thought the "Summer only performance tires" came on the GTP only? Also someone said it best when they mentioned that it DOES say this about the tires on the window sticker...so if you're complaining, then maybe you should've done more research before buying the car or *at least* read the window sticker heh...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
~niKKi~ said:
And yeah, I thought the "Summer only performance tires" came on the GTP only? Also someone said it best when they mentioned that it DOES say this about the tires on the window sticker...so if you're complaining, then maybe you should've done more research before buying the car or *at least* read the window sticker heh...
I agree. I think most maufacturers today have them as an option on the "performance" models, just another thing to be aware of. I don't think it is their fault for offering these to enthusiasts who want them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
cnagy65 said:
Robyn,
What brand tires do you actually have. I thought the Summer only tires were the 18" which was only available on the the GTP's, I could be wrong though.

Miscreant,
I have a GTP and I wanted the All season tires. Granted they are not as good as summer only tires, but I didnt want summer tires again since I had them on my 350z. They were great on that car when it was warm, but once it get below 50 degrees, Its like your riding on rocks and they dont grip very well. And forget about even moving in snow.
I didnt want to buy another set of tires to use for just a few months. If I didnt live in NY, I would have gotten the summer only tires.
I still love this car even without the summer tires

I agree with JP375. This is a sporty car, not a sports car.

I have the low profile looking Continental tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Robyn P said:
I have the low profile looking Continental tires.
Then you don't have summer only. The only summer only tires are the Bridgestone RE050AS, and would have been an option listed on the window sticker of a GTP. And I wasn't talking to you since I saw you had a GT which did not have the option of summer only tires (though it was a little frustrating to read your post andhow quickly you were willing to point blame when you didn't even have them). I was talking in general, because I find it amazing that people would not realize that they paid for a certain option on their car which specifically says ** Summer only **.

And stop trying to blame GM or Pontiac for an option. It is an option, not standard equipment - Most come with the Eagle LSs which are all season, but the Summer only tires on the GTP are a $costing$ option which a few have - if you don't want the summer only, you don't buy the summer only. That would be like me buying a G6 with leather and cursing that I hate leather and GM should have never put leather on my car - when I could have bought a car without leather...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
branderson said:
I agree. I think most maufacturers today have them as an option on the "performance" models, just another thing to be aware of. I don't think it is their fault for offering these to enthusiasts who want them.
Just an aside, this is true. Many imports are doing it now. In fact, many imports have been doing it for a long time. You read these forums on american cars and see people putting HP tires on their cars all day long after they buy them. GM's just trying to catch this crowds eye. The GXP cars have summer only tires. Pretty much all of GM's "performance" lineup has them as options or standard equipment.

The GTP has always been Pontiac's performance label.

The Formula I had many years ago put out ~225hp and came with summer only Gatorbacks and wasn't exactly blistering in performance. The G6 GTP has 240hp.

Anyody in the southern states would love the summer only tires because they perform so much better than the LSs. To be pissed that GM offers them as an option for those people who don't have snow worries is rediculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
miscreant said:
Then you don't have summer only. The only summer only tires are the Bridgestone RE050AS, and would have been an option listed on the window sticker of a GTP. And I wasn't talking to you since I saw you had a GT which did not have the option of summer only tires (though it was a little frustrating to read your post andhow quickly you were willing to point blame when you didn't even have them). I was talking in general, because I find it amazing that people would not realize that they paid for a certain option on their car which specifically says ** Summer only **.

And stop trying to blame GM or Pontiac for an option. It is an option, not standard equipment - Most come with the Eagle LSs which are all season, but the Summer only tires on the GTP are a $costing$ option which a few have - if you don't want the summer only, you don't buy the summer only. That would be like me buying a G6 with leather and cursing that I hate leather and GM should have never put leather on my car - when I could have bought a car without leather...

IT'S LIKE I STATED BEFORE, OBVIOUSLY THOSE THAT ARE COMPLAINING DID NOT KNOW THEY HAD THAT OPTION!!!! I WAS MERELY STATING THAT NOT ALL PEOPLE GO OVER THE STICKER WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB, LEATHER IS OBVIOUS, THE TYPE OF TIRE, TO MOST OF US, IN NOT. HOW MANY PEOPLE REALLY INSPECT THE STICKER OR THE TIRES FOR THAT MATTER WHEN PURCHASING A TIRE.

LOOK, NEVERMIND, I DON'T KNOW WHY MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE EVER POSTS A COMMENT TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE SO MUCH SMARTER THAN THE REST OF US. WITH THAT BEING TRUE WHY ARE YOU ON HERE SO MUCH, SHOULDN'T YOU BE SPREADING YOUR KNOWLEDGE TO THE REST OF THE WORLD?

NO OFFENSE, JUST STATING SOME COMMENTS THAT I'M SURE OTHERS HAVE WANTED TO EXPRESS, BUT HAVEN'T. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
I do however stand corrected in my tires. Although I was thinking somewhere I had heard some complaint on the continental tires as well. Anyway, "RE050AS" as miccreant stated was the "only summer tire", on a sticker on the pontiac web-site I found this:

(4) TIRES, P225/50R18
SUMMER-ONLY PERFORMANCE
$150.00

Is this the same or different? Looks different to me, but I've proven I know nothing about tires. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Well said Robyn. I, like I assume many others, registered and come here as a G6 owner looking for helpful information, tips and tricks, and to share information with other G6 owners. Like pretty much anyone else, I didn't come here to be told I am in idiot for not reading a window sticker (and also being falsely told what will and won't work on my car, and why/why not).

(Going across to the ABS argument, for comparison only)

For what it's worth, I too assumed I had ABS on my car, as I didn't realize in today's world that ABS was still indeed an option. Also, for what it's worth, I never thought much of GM's ability to master the art of ABS technology, so while not having it (ABS) comes as a surprise, I'm not really disappointed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Robyn P said:
LOOK, NEVERMIND, I DON'T KNOW WHY MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE EVER POSTS A COMMENT TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE SO MUCH SMARTER THAN THE REST OF US. WITH THAT BEING TRUE WHY ARE YOU ON HERE SO MUCH, SHOULDN'T YOU BE SPREADING YOUR KNOWLEDGE TO THE REST OF THE WORLD?
NO OFFENSE, JUST STATING SOME COMMENTS THAT I'M SURE OTHERS HAVE WANTED TO EXPRESS, BUT HAVEN'T. :)
Amen!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Robyn P said:
IT'S LIKE I STATED BEFORE, OBVIOUSLY THOSE THAT ARE COMPLAINING DID NOT KNOW THEY HAD THAT OPTION!!!! I WAS MERELY STATING THAT NOT ALL PEOPLE GO OVER THE STICKER WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB, LEATHER IS OBVIOUS, THE TYPE OF TIRE, TO MOST OF US, IN NOT. HOW MANY PEOPLE REALLY INSPECT THE STICKER OR THE TIRES FOR THAT MATTER WHEN PURCHASING A TIRE.

LOOK, NEVERMIND, I DON'T KNOW WHY MYSELF OR ANYONE ELSE EVER POSTS A COMMENT TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE SO MUCH SMARTER THAN THE REST OF US. WITH THAT BEING TRUE WHY ARE YOU ON HERE SO MUCH, SHOULDN'T YOU BE SPREADING YOUR KNOWLEDGE TO THE REST OF THE WORLD?

NO OFFENSE, JUST STATING SOME COMMENTS THAT I'M SURE OTHERS HAVE WANTED TO EXPRESS, BUT HAVEN'T. :)
No one's an idiot, and I am not calling anyone an idiot. I said it "amazes" me, not that anyone's stupid or anything like the same. It just amazes me how much people are willing to try to shave off the price at the dealer, or how informed people are about the rebates and savings, and such, but things like what's actually on the car that costs money isn't important. Noone's an idiot for this, it just "amazes me".

And secondly, you screamed at GM/Pontiac for putting summer tires on your car and all that rant, and you don't even have them, and you're going to point fingers at me? Come on. ;) You're allowed to have emotions toward GM, but I'm not allowed to be surprised that something costing money on the window sticker would be missed? Again, it "amazes" me, that's all. Noone's an idiot because of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
miscreant said:
And secondly, you screamed at GM/Pontiac for putting summer tires on your car and all that rant, and you don't even have them, and you're going to point fingers at me? Come on. ;) You're allowed to have emotions toward GM, but I'm not allowed to be surprised that something costing money on the window sticker would be missed? Again, it "amazes" me, that's all. Noone's an idiot because of it.
First off, I' don't know why I'm bothering with this, but I am :rolleyes: , so here goes, I admitted my mistake about my tires and stated that I got confused b/c there was another post about continentals, which is more than I can say for you b/c you are always right. Second, did I scream at GM/Pontiac, did I? No, I actually only posted my opinion on GM/Pontiac which I have the right to do. Third, the reason myself and others seem to think, you think we're idiots is b/c of the way you address people, you can be VERY RUDE. Forth, why would it surprise you that someone missed this on the window sticker? It obviously happened to more than one person, things get overlooked everyday, we live in a hurried environment, obviously, you have plenty of time to go over every single detail, where the rest of us don't. Things get overlooked, big deal, are you telling me you've never missed something? :confused:
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top