Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question I would like fogs and want to know what would be involved in install. I know a lot off times the wiring is there and one can add lights relay and a fuse and away we go. I want it to look stock but it need not be just it to look like it could have been Oem. And I want it to use the same switch it would on factory stock

·
Registered
411 Posts
It is not that simple I'm afraid. Unfortunately they are not prewired. I did exactly what you want to do but it got to a point where I was unable to finish the job and had to send my car to a mobile electronics store to have them finish it. I purchased the factory fog lamp option front lamp harness, factory switch and the pigtail to the switch. I replaced the harness myself before realizing that the fog lamps are routed through the BCM from the factory and required wiring I was not able to accomplish. The mobile electronics store wired in the switch for me and had to use some sort of module to bypass the BCM. Everything works fine except the light on the switch itself doesn't work. I ended up paying a small fortune and going way overboard to make the fogs factory looking. Cruisin did a really clean install with some aftermarket fogs that I believe was not near as complicated. I would check with him on what he did.

·
Legend
782 Posts
I installed the stock fogs in my base. I just ran a power to the battery to a switch and then to an inline fuse then the fogs and they work like a champ. It's not the OEM switch but I mounted my new one in the same place. That's the hands down easiest way to go. It may not look stock as far as the switch goes but it does the job its supposed to do.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could the stock fogs be wired to turn on with the headlights auto. Then I wouldn't need the switch at all or would that over load the circuit. Trying to avoid the extra switch at all cost.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Could the stock fogs be wired to turn on with the headlights auto. Then I wouldn't need the switch at all or would that over load the circuit. Trying to avoid the extra switch at all cost.
Yes you could do that. Adding a relay would prevent overloading the exsisting circuit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so is there a reason other than I blew a bulb and am embarrassed that I would want my fog off when the headlight is on?

·
Legend
782 Posts
You could wire it to a relay and everything but I feel like it would still over load it depending if you had halogen or hid fogs. When I first hooked up my fogs to the running lights. It worked with the halogen but as soon as I put the hids in it blew the fuse almost immediately. If you ever wanted to turn off your fogs I would just wire it to something beside the low beam to save yourself having to change it down the road. And you can also mount the switch somewhere more discreet so you can't easily see it. Like inside your ashtray to the side of your left knee so it would be hidden but easily accessible.

·
Legend
782 Posts
Also you would have to pull the DRL fuse if you wired it to your low beams do it wouldn't come on during the day. Myself for instance my headlights automatically come on around dusk or earlier but I don't turn on my fogs until its actually dark out.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I just realized you said Stock Fog lights...

Could the stock fogs be wired to turn on with the headlights auto....
Since that's the case you don't need to worry about a separate circuit because the fogs already have their own. (If you plan to get HIDs however I'd strongly recommend adding a wiring harness to be sure there's enough power for those HIDs)

But to get the fogs on whenever you turn the lights on, you can just put a jumper wire between the headlight fuse or relay to the fog light relay. So whenever the headlights are on, it'll also trigger the fog light relay and turn them on. This can be accomplished with a sort length of wire hidden inside the fuse box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so we agree I can buy stock fogs. If running halogen it should be no problem to wire to the headlight circuit as trigger for a relay and set it up that way. I would wire it my low beams but in theory could I wire them to my corner markers or would the fogs flash w the turn signal?

·
Legend
782 Posts
Yes the stock fogs will work fine. It's just a housing its the bulb inside you have to worry about. But I wired mine to my corner lights at first if you stay with halogen that will work just fine bit if you want to put hids in it will overload it. And no they don't flash with your blinker. There is 2 purple wires coming out of the back of the corner light one is its constant power and one is the blinker power. Just take a multi meter or volt meter and test each wire and find which ones volts stay constant and which one flickers with the blinker. Also I got a couple h11 harnesses to make it easier to wire. I wired the positive and negative normally to the wire coming out of the connector and then plugged the bulb in. You can get them at a auto parts store for a few bucks each. I just cut mine off some vehicle in the junk yard and called it a day. Lol

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Just make sure you are only piggy backing off the stock markers or low beams to trigger your relay. Draw your power directly from the battery so you aren't causing more damage by overloading the stock wiring. If you want control over when the lights are on, run a switch between the relay and the stock wiring. You could even modify one of DDM's HID harnesses which would be very simple to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking more into this the stock fog switch isn't too much money used could I wire using it and wire as u detailed?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
The problem with the stock fog switch is it isn't a normal on/off switch. Its a momentary switch. Where the circuit is complete only while you're holding down the switch. The bcm uses that signal to actually turn the fogs on or off.

You could still make it work though. You just need a couple of relays and a diode. I found info online somewhere a long time ago. I'll see if I can find it again...

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Sorry for the long wait. I completely forgot about this. haha
I actually just got a set of OEM fogs for my car and I'm finally going to to do it right, no more crappy aftermarket fogs.
And the plan is to have the OEM switch as well, but of course I can't wire it into the BCM and make it work, so making my own circuit is the key.

I was looking and found circuits that take like 4 relays to make a single push switch turn something on and keep it on.
Then I came to the realization that you can purchase a Latching Relay.
This relay will take a single pulse of 12 volts, and turn on the circuit and keep it on until another pulse of 12 volts is received.

Problem is now, where to find these damn relays, So far I found one place in the UK selling them, and another who sells em through ebay for like 25 bucks....

Needless to say I'll be going that route.
Here's that 4 relay circuit btw...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts