Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to put in my sub and amp from my old car (12" diamond and 500w rockford amp) but I want to keep the stock headunit. The computer being tied in, I work in downtown st.louis and have to park on the street, so the less attention the better haha.

Long story short, what are my options? I highly doubt they have preouts, but then again I have not looked into it. I am going to run by a mom and pop audio shop today, but not sure if its something I can handle myself.

On a side note, the door and rear speakers, do I need to hard wire them together or do they use the harnesses? Thank you again,
David

·
Registered
911 Posts
same hereeee...just used a line out converter- different brand than waterfowlers but did the job just the same. just splice into your rear 6 X 9's and run the RCA's from teh line out converter to the amp just as you would from an aftermarket head unit to the amp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I do not like and I never suggest people to use line outs.

Most people have noise issues or do not get what they should out of them.

However if its your wish I highly advise and suggest you at minimum use a HIGH QUALITY line out converter.

Use this:
http://davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=7

The price is more than fair and the quality is second to none.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I better off just sucking it up and buying an aftermarket? if so, what about everything thats tied into the computer? When I bought the car one of the guys said to 'never pull it out' - I dont know much about the electronics in these cars haha

·
Registered
51 Posts
For what its worth, I have been doing car audio since the mid 90's.

Now looking at these cars with the radio as is, with information center integrated as well as trip odometer- I wouldnt recommend pulling it.

If you do you will loose this information.

However I find these units lacking in MP3 player support, USB and IPOD. Therefore I will be installing a Parrot Kit to cure these issues.

The only other alternative is a bit more costly, like a JL Clean Sweet, RF 360 or a Massive Flatline.

I sell the Massive stuff if you are interested. Heres the website:
http://massiveaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=16181&cat=258&page=1

If it was my money I would stick to the David Navone LOC's.

The more expensive units require proper tuning and without the proper equipment it can not be properly done. Not many people have an RTA around either...

·
Registered
911 Posts
the loc i used was scosche or something brand and it worked well for me...didn't hear any issues. picked it up at best buy for about 50 bucks...i definitely don't want to pull my stock HU

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats my thing, I really dont want to pull the headunit unless I 'have' to which it sounds like I have options, so its staying! haha.
Any options for gain control or anything? I listen to music all across the board and with the integrated aux, I've found a new hook with podcasts. Ie, sometimes country, metal, rock, rap and now talk radio, I don't need to 'feel' the bass in the voices haha. Again, any ideas?
Thank you again for all the great advice

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 12 of 12 Posts