Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed an STB from the Malibu SS and it fits 99.9% perfect. I ordered the factory GM part from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM and it took about three weeks but it is here. I installed it on a 2006 g6 gtp convert. I no longer have pronounced cowl shake, excess body lean, or the pesky rattle in the front of the dash. This car handles like it is on rails. 2 nuts 13mm per side and bam its done. On the hood where the highest point of angle for the brace meets the closed hood, place a piece of double sided tape to keep the hood from getting 1" rub marks. You will see it. 96.28 shipped, the best upgrade anyone can do for a car.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
lapdancepants said:
Just installed an STB from the Malibu SS and it fits 99.9% perfect. I ordered the factory GM part from GMPARTSDIRECT.COM and it took about three weeks but it is here. I installed it on a 2006 g6 gtp convert. I no longer have pronounced cowl shake, excess body lean, or the pesky rattle in the front of the dash. This car handles like it is on rails. 2 nuts 13mm per side and bam its done. On the hood where the highest point of angle for the brace meets the closed hood, place a piece of double sided tape to keep the hood from getting 1" rub marks. You will see it. 96.28 shipped, the best upgrade anyone can do for a car.
I installed the STB on my GTP coupe about 2 months ago. I'm glad it helped you out. You may have seen mine below.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Part number 15286584 - Strut Tower Brace
GM LIST: $133.12
OUR PRICE: $78.92

Part Number 25769543 - GMPD Emblem
GM LIST: $14.92
OUR PRICE: $9.16

www.gmpartsdirect.com

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Daniel said:
Awsome i will be next on the list for this!
See my earlier photo and be sure to install some heavy vinyl or similar material, at the contact points of the STB.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
Daniel said:
I saw the rubbing issues...thanks!
Is this the same brace that is in all the other threads that people have installed,
I see that its a malibu ss stut is that why the bar rubs slightly?
Thanks for the picks!
Yes, this is the STB from the Malibu SS. The STB was not designed for the G6 and that is why there are contact points. ;)

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Just installed mine last night - I did have to widen the hole for the extra nut or whatever that is on the right strut tower as it didn't quite match up :rolleyes:

Now riddle me this - Pontiac is supposed to be GM's performance brand ("We Build Excitement" etc.), and of course the STB is a great handling enhancement at the slight sacrifice of ride comfort, so HOW COME my Grand Prix didn't come with one and I had to get a BUICK REGAL part instead, and now we need a CHEVROLET part? Shouldn't it be the other way around :eek:

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Looks like someone knew a few years ago about Pontiac's future demise.....

and we couldnt see the forrest through the trees.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I ordered my STB from GM parts direct. They have gone up some; they are $98.82, and list at $166.70. I'm looking forward to putting it on, along with the other goodies I've ordered over the past couple days, Jet Performance Stage 2 Module and Xenon 5500k head/fog lights. Feels like X-mas in July!!!

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Pics!

It's in there somewhere, darnit!

OK there it is :D

That extra hole doesn't quiiiiiiite line up with the white nut thing sticking up, so it took me about 15 minutes with a not-very-powerful drill to widen the hole just enough to let it get through

Plenty o' clearance :)

Couple pics from the other side (noticed that my CRABs are drooping again :eek:)

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
if you want a more stylish strut tower brace go to racingline performace. i ordered one and it looks sweet will have pictures soon.

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
I will have to disagree. it fits perfectly on all 05-08 G6 sedans. not sure about coupes or convertibles.

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
I have no idea what it was for but as you can see i didn't have to mess with it so i just left it alone. yes i agree i love the handling difference. a lot tighter and doesn't roll as much.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts