Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 G6 GT with 30k miles. Just recently I have noticed that after I exit the highway and I come to a stop, I smell a rotten egg type of smell. My car idles great, it runs great, there is no engine light, it's just lets off this smell. Any body else have this problem?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have a 08 G6 GT with 30k miles. Just recently I have noticed that after I exit the highway and I come to a stop, I smell a rotten egg type of smell. My car idles great, it runs great, there is no engine light, it's just lets off this smell. Any body else have this problem?

Thanks
Don't have the problem but the rotten egg smell usually signals something wrong with one of your cat converters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, what about bad fuel? Lately I have been filling up at a different gas station that offers slightly lower priced gas. Do you know if bad fuel can create this type of odor?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
It could be a gas issue. Usually happens when people put in a higher octane (91/93) than what is recommended for us (87). So maybe the gas station put the fuel in the wrong tank. Did you use 87?

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
I smell that coming from really old people's cars just putting around. Building up carbon in the exhaust. I tend to keep mine cleared out quite often. Speed limit is 65 - 70 but no limit on how fast you get to 65 - 70.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
maykevin5, I get what your saying. I tend to use my manual shift feature a-lot (ha, sounds freaky). When I need to get around somebody, I'm not afraid to drop it a gear and punch it. But KB G6 could be right, it could be a cat issue. Maybe I just need to burn this tank of fuel and try a different station and a better quality of gas and see if this takes care of the problem. Again, I really appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good, call on the airfilter/fuel burning issue. I just had my oil changed about 2 weeks ago and they said that I should be aware that my airfilter will need to be addressed in the near future.

·
Registered
555 Posts
maybe someone put rotten eggs in your tailpipe?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Rotten egg in the tail pipe....that would suck, but thank goodness no. There is no rotten omelet in my tailpipe. Just a little black residue on the bottom side of my chrome exhaust. Plus, my ride sleeps indoors and where I work we have security watching the employee cars. But I guess something like that could happen when I'm out purchasing stuff.

My gut tells me that it might be the cheap gas I put in it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah cheap gas maybe.

jk about the eggs lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.