Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, have any of you out there changed to synthetic oil at some point with your G6 ? I'm still on conventional oil at 103,000 miles.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have been using the Walmart Super Tech high milage + the Fram XP filter. I tend to change at slightly longer intervals. The car does not need it, just a personal choice with the price difference being small and the API rating being up there with the higher end products.

·
2007 gt retractable
340 Posts
I have been using the Walmart Super Tech high milage + the Fram XP filter. I tend to change at slightly longer intervals. The car does not need it, just a personal choice with the price difference being small and the API rating being up there with the higher end products.
me too but ac delco filter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the super Tech high mileage a blend or synthetic ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was the first thing I did when I got this car, but do some research, Pretty sure if you change to Synthetic with this many miles you'll start to develop leaks.
Interesting thanks.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is the super Tech high mileage a blend or synthetic ?
...and I am using the full synthetic. Mine does have an oil leak, been that way since I got the car. One day I may replace the pan seal. I currently lack the hoist or similar to support the engine to get at the transmission side bolts. SO far the occasional use of shop towel keeps me going...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 2009 in January from my grandma but she let me drive it for a little bit before. I think about a month ago it was due for an oil change (first since I bought it) and I switched it from conventional oil to royal purple synthetic. I really don’t know if anyone even a trained mechanic can actually tell or if it’s just in my head but I do feel like the car drives a bit smoother and has a little more pick up. Not a ton but just enough to notice. I chose royal purple cuz they sell it where my mom works and it was the most expensive stuff they had. I really want this car to last so I’ll pretty much throw as much money down the toilet as I need to in order to ensure it runs well. Also with a name like royal purple I don’t think you can go wrong. Anyways I’ve put about 1.5k on it since then (a lot imo) but I just checked the oil and still no need to add anymore which I think is good it’s lasting since it’s a little pricey (still only like 45$ for 5 qts tho)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I switched to synthetic at around 80,000 Km (50,000 miles). I find its more cost effective. Walmart almost always has some good name brand synthetic on sale for the same price as conventional, and with synthetic you can go longer between changes. I'm at 115,000 Km now, and I've got a very slow leak around the oil filter cap, but I think its because the cap plastic is old and brittle and full of micro cracks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts