Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's a shop by my house and I called them this morning and they want $75 to spray tint my lights. He wouldn't tell me the procedure because he doesn't want it "getting out". Anyway, he told me that they bake the paint on and the whole process takes about 30 minutes. I am leery of this because I know it takes longer than 30 minutes to tint some tail lights. However, they have a 5 star rating. I've tried niteshades myself and failed. I've also tried peel and cling and vinyl so I figured it's time to pay someone to do it. Any thoughts on this? Also if you live in Michigan and know someone then that would be helpful. I just don't want my tail lights coming out of this shop looking like garbage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't tried for myself yet but after looking around i think I'm gonna try the fly eyez tint. Read a lot of good reviews and seems the safest (legal) way.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where abouts in Michigan are you?
I live in SE Michigan. Plymouth. If you don't know where that is then I'm in between Detroit and Ann Arbor. Closer to Ann Arbor. I called Maaco and apparently they do it for $89.95 but from what I heard, Maaco sucks. I have a couple cans of niteshades and clear but I don't want to do it myself. I would rather have PPG Black and Clear but can't find anyone to do it. Niteshades would be fine if I didn't have to pay someone $75 to do it.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried for myself yet but after looking around i think I'm gonna try the fly eyez tint. Read a lot of good reviews and seems the safest (legal) way.
Yeah every time I check that site they are always low on stock. I read about using Gila film. The peel and cling stuff. Doesn't work though. At least I wouldn't trust it at highway speeds.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just did mine with rust-oleum tail tint, did eyelids too turned out good, just make sure you take your time with the prep work

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so maaco said they would do it? if not what was the guys name you called? im in se michigan in eastpointe
Yes Maaco said they would do it. I called the one in Garden City. I wish I could see some of their work though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
welll i dont want to sound like an ass, but im getting mine done by someone in the next month or so, and i wanna keep it a secret, and once it's done i would be more than happy to give you the info and show you his work.... i wouldnt get fly eyes tint, i dont like the look and to me it doesnt look much different

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
welll i dont want to sound like an ass, but im getting mine done by someone in the next month or so, and i wanna keep it a secret, and once it's done i would be more than happy to give you the info and show you his work.... i wouldnt get fly eyes tint, i dont like the look and to me it doesnt look much different
No that doesn't make you look like an ass. I have friends who are looking for a good tail light tinter too so whoever your guy is, let him know that he will make some money. Let me know how you like it and where to go.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I talked to my painter here at work and he said we can tint tails here. He did it on a co-workers vehicle and they turned out really good.

If anyone one wants them done in a state of the art paint booth with high quality material he said he would do it for $75.00.

I work at Merollis Chevrolet on Gratiot Ave in Eastpointe. Feel free to stop by and ask for Phil.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to my painter here at work and he said we can tint tails here. He did it on a co-workers vehicle and they turned out really good.

If anyone one wants them done in a state of the art paint booth with high quality material he said he would do it for $75.00.

I work at Merollis Chevrolet on Gratiot Ave in Eastpointe. Feel free to stop by and ask for Phil.
Has he only tinted one vehicle?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mr.G6, what happened when you tried doing VHT Niteshades yourself? Did you prep it correctly? Did it run? Did it bubble up? Was it uneven?
The way mine came out using VHT Niteshades looks very similar to the truck, but for a fraction of the cost.

·
2009 Carbon Black 6
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mr.G6, what happened when you tried doing VHT Niteshades yourself? Did you prep it correctly? Did it run? Did it bubble up? Was it uneven?
The way mine came out using VHT Niteshades looks very similar to the truck, but for a fraction of the cost.
I did it when it was too cold outside. I don't have a garage. I've done it before on other tail lights in the middle of summer and it came out fine. I'm impatient though. I just don't want to mess mine up. I followed all the how-to guides I've found on the prep work. Everyone uses different sand paper so I'm not sure which to use. I heard scotchbrite pads are good. I'm afraid of it coming out uneven. I may try it again if I could find a write-up on G6 tail lights.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I scuffed them with pad, 3 coats then a coat of clear, mine was on a warm day so I'm sure the heat gun or inside would speed that up, yes much cheaper less than $20 in everything

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 35 Posts