Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
I am going to apply the tail light tints for my g6 coupe. I have a couple of questions.. do i need to use a heat gun at all? or just water on its own???
http://www.rvinyl.com/tintkits/smoked/taillight/pontiac/g6_coupe.htm
Good luck with that, i could never figure the tint out, i always had bubbles, so now i'm going to spray tint them. But yea you need to use a heat gun to stretch the tint out, a hairdryer works best on low setting though that way you don't melt it.

· Registered
99 Posts
use vht nite tint

· Registered
12 Posts
I would take out the tail lights, it makes it way easier. I used Nite Shades and some clear coat and it looks really good. BTW i tried the tint film and it sucks to use.

· Registered
292 Posts
Hey Has anyone tinted just the 3rd brake light? I have a black G6 sedan and I like the the red lights but not a fan of the 3rd brake light. Do you think it would look awkward with it just tinted a bit?

· Registered
47 Posts
hey i just got my tints today and it took me a about 1.5 hr it put it on... it was a huge pain in the ass!! i just wish the cut out was a little bit bigger, the paper says it stretches 20%... ya my @ss it just shrinks right back up! so it looks really good, you can deffinately see up close that it isnt perfect.

· Registered
110 Posts
VHT (Very High Temperature) Nite Shades.. You can find it between $8-$15..

It's supposed to look really good.. My G6 is in the shop and when I get it out that's the first thing I am going to do is tint My Heads and Tails. I just bought it so It's getting all its detailing done. I will post pics.

I would always recommend taking out any parts you plan to paint because of the nature of overspray. You have to be more careful if you leave the 'tails' on the car. When you take them out, you can overspray on the edges giving you a nice clean all the way finished look.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/niteshades.html

Some auto part stores carry them. NAPA I believe doesn't but you can check, It's just a rare type of aerosol that normal people don't use, lol, since it is VHT.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have heard that the VHT niteshades recommends no more than 3 coats. I used Testors 2949 Transparent Black Window Tint. It is made for lexans and plastics and is in a 3oz. spray can. Used it on my 03 maxima(R.I.P) looks great also clearcoated them with clearcoat from Wal-mart. Be very careful using both product as for spraying to heavy it will run. Light coats is the best way to go. The first couple coats wont be very noticeable but after that you will be able to see the diffrence.

· Registered
99 Posts
do you guys recommend not painting the white backup light , or can you

· Registered
110 Posts
SO I used the VHT Nite Shades and it worked great. You do get some bubbles, but you have to be careful where you do it. I only got a few. ON my tailights I left the reverse light un-tinted. I took tape and layed it in strips then cut a circle around the light if you know what i mean. It was the easiest way to get the circle. Since you can see through the tape, I cut along the visible white-ness per say.

So what I did was my headlights and tailights and I will post pictures. I used this stuff called Purple Power, its a strong degreaser and wiped down my lights before. Then I sanded them with 1500 grit wet sandpaper mixed with laundry soap. Then purple power again to clean it. Then I used a tach cloth to wipe away all the little tiny particles from the cloth I used to dry. So then I sprayed with the VHT nite Shades. You should always start before and end after the light when spraying. And don't hold too close. There is enough spray in there and it will turn out b/c each coat gets darker. So then I let them dry after giving them 3 coats for about an hour then I wet sanded with 1200 grit to get the little bubbles out and flaws, then 1500 grit wet sanded to get the more finer detail out and make it really smooth. After all that was done, I used the purple power again. THen ran the tach cloth over it and made sure there were no particles anywhere. THen I sprayed 5 coats of Acrylic Lacquer which I purchased from NAPA and waited 3 minutes in between each coat and the last coat I put on pretty thick. So I will post my pictures here soon later in the evening. Thanks guys!

· 08 G6 GT
95 Posts
Yea tried Rvinyl and it was terrible. Going to go with the spray now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.