Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 55,000 miles on the car so I'm thinking, so Saturday, taking it to the mechanic to do:

1) Coolant flush (it's an 05 so I think every 5 years it's suppose to be changed)
2) Tranny flush (I drive in stop and go traffic pretty much every day, and it's been 90 here for the past month or so, which fits one of the descriptions of "severe service")
3) Brakes getting looked at. I have a grinding sound when I apply medium to hard pressure. The pads were just replaced about 5,000 miles ago, could it be the rotors? If I do need new rotors, no real harm getting some online and replacing them without replacing pads right?
4) Infamous "check gas cap" message...if it doesn't go away before Saturday.
5) Maybe see if they work with the extended warranty company to fix a noisy pano sunroof.

Am I missing anything?

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
Yeah that dexcool is crap you shouldnt let it go five years from my experience with it in my olds intrigue I had. Tranny fluid should definitly be replaced at 50k, most auto manufactures recommend it at more like 30k. Pads and rotors should always have a fresh surface to wear with, so if you just replace your rotors you should scuff your pads to ensure you dont get any noise, if your rotors were not machined when the pads were put on that could be part of the problem or the pads are semi-metalic (cheap) instead of ceramic or could be cheap ceramic pads, napa's adaptavie one pads are the quietest pad I have ever put on a vehichle. Well good luck at the garage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
KB - coolant flush is definitely a good idea. I'd get the trans serviced as well. Most cars built in the last decade use a synthetic based fluid. It's good to change it between 50-60K and then 30K thereafter. You don't need a flush if you service the transmission like this. To break it down, you're only really changing out 30% or so of the fluid each time, which is why after the original 60K is put on the car, fluid changes should be done every two years, or 30K to keep the fluid relatively fresh, as heat is the enemy here.

As for brakes, you can shop around online by all means! If you hear grinding the rotors might very well be shot. If that's the case, I'd take it back to the shop that did the work previously so if they put new pads on warped rotors, tell them to fix it as it was their fault. You can check for yourself by looking for irregular brake pad wear. If you had the rear brakes checked you might want to have a look at them as well. Rear discs aren't generally vented as they only supply 35% of the braking force, and aren't prone to overheat like the front brakes. High heat for prolonged time = warped rotors in most cases.

Verify your gas cap seal. Start the car with the cap on and if you hear an air noise, get a new cap and that should solve the problem. It could also be telling you that there's another small evaporation problem within the fuel system. Another common one, mostly on older vehicles is a bad, or broken vapor line to the charcoal filter.

A service for me is:

- oil change
- fluid checks, power steering brake and transmission, coolant (which you'll get flushed)
- tire pressure and tread wear check, rotate if necessary
- check under-body components and suspension for wear/tear (some call this part of a 20 or 40 point inspection for piece of mind)

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I did get the trans flushed and the coolant changed. Miraculously (or dumb luck) that the check gas cap went away after I picked it up.

They said the rotors are fine, and after I washed the car (made sure to pay extra attention to the brakes/rotors) the noise went away, so I'm thinking it was the wheel shine I was using got on the rotors.

I had a loyalty card thing so it only ended up being $220. Money well spent I believe.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes. Dealer fluids can be pricey. My Dodge dealer wants close to $20 quart (Canadian funds) for everything but engine oil, that's about $10 a quart. Hence why I've been using Amsoil products for the last half a decade - half the price with better protection and a warranty to match!

I do my own maintenance when I can, which saves on labour. Don't forget, a trans service alone takes about 45min to do properly if not closer to an hour. That's $100 in labour, right there.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes, most transmission fluids used today are all synthetic based which is why they are more expensive. However, aftermarket synthetic oils which in some cases perform better, are also a lot less money!

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, most transmission fluids used today are all synthetic based which is why they are more expensive. However, aftermarket synthetic oils which in some cases perform better, are also a lot less money!
It's an non-dealer mechanic so not sure what they used. But I trust their work. Guess I'll have to wait to find out if my tranny blows up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.