Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 55,000 miles on the car so I'm thinking, so Saturday, taking it to the mechanic to do:

1) Coolant flush (it's an 05 so I think every 5 years it's suppose to be changed)
2) Tranny flush (I drive in stop and go traffic pretty much every day, and it's been 90 here for the past month or so, which fits one of the descriptions of "severe service")
3) Brakes getting looked at. I have a grinding sound when I apply medium to hard pressure. The pads were just replaced about 5,000 miles ago, could it be the rotors? If I do need new rotors, no real harm getting some online and replacing them without replacing pads right?
4) Infamous "check gas cap" message...if it doesn't go away before Saturday.
5) Maybe see if they work with the extended warranty company to fix a noisy pano sunroof.

Am I missing anything?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I did get the trans flushed and the coolant changed. Miraculously (or dumb luck) that the check gas cap went away after I picked it up.

They said the rotors are fine, and after I washed the car (made sure to pay extra attention to the brakes/rotors) the noise went away, so I'm thinking it was the wheel shine I was using got on the rotors.

I had a loyalty card thing so it only ended up being $220. Money well spent I believe.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, most transmission fluids used today are all synthetic based which is why they are more expensive. However, aftermarket synthetic oils which in some cases perform better, are also a lot less money!
It's an non-dealer mechanic so not sure what they used. But I trust their work. Guess I'll have to wait to find out if my tranny blows up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.