Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 Pontiac G6 GT Flex Fuel 4-door sedan. The temp gauge in the dash does not work, simultaneously, along with the air conditioner not blowing cold air. It just started this about a month ago. One day they didn't work; car was turned off and on several times that day. The next morning they work right away. They continued to work fine for about a week or so. All of the sudden again one day they didn't work. It seems to mostly do this when I start my car; however, one day while driving the air & temp gauge started working. Usually though, it happens to work or not work when I start the car. I just had a new thermostat put on within this past week thinking it would solve the problem, but it didn't because this morning both the temp gauge & air conditioner would not work. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sounds like an intermittent ECT sensor (or possibly it's circuit). If a scan tool reports the coolant temp to be -36F(IIRC), then the sensor signal has dropped out & the ECM/PCM substituted with this non-sensical value. Are you getting any codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your response, greenman. Yes, I do believe the mechanic said the car gave a code, but I don't recall what. My fiance and I took the car to the shop just last week. Mechanic had faced a similar problem with a pick-up (but not a Pontiac) so I guess figured it could have been the thermostat. Guess the mechanic was wrong though. I am going to let the mechanic know today that it is still messed up. I was just hoping to get some ideas of what to tell him to look for. You sound very knowledgeable; I will be sure to share your input!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Thank you very much for your response, greenman. Yes, I do believe the mechanic said the car gave a code, but I don't recall what. My fiance and I took the car to the shop just last week. Mechanic had faced a similar problem with a pick-up (but not a Pontiac) so I guess figured it could have been the thermostat. Guess the mechanic was wrong though. I am going to let the mechanic know today that it is still messed up. I was just hoping to get some ideas of what to tell him to look for. You sound very knowledgeable; I will be sure to share your input!
The code is critical info to know. It could have been the thermostat stuck open but his scan tool would tell the tale (what the ECT is reporting to the ECM) & he shouldn't be just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, again. I'll let you know the outcome. Hopefully no one else is having this problem, but if so I will be sure to post the outcome for their sake as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Greenman ~ So the mechanic put a sensor on my car for the temp gauge and so far all is working well. This was only 5 days ago, but I pray that is all it takes. Sure wish we would have tried this first because the sensor at $38 sure beats what I paid for the new thermostat at $120.00. Thanks again for your help! (now my shift linkage has went out so i'm dealing with that!)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hi Greenman ~ So the mechanic put a sensor on my car for the temp gauge and so far all is working well. This was only 5 days ago, but I pray that is all it takes. Sure wish we would have tried this first because the sensor at $38 sure beats what I paid for the new thermostat at $120.00. Thanks again for your help! (now my shift linkage has went out so i'm dealing with that!)
That would be the ECT sensor. Did you find out which code had popped?

How many miles on that car?

·
Registered
606 Posts
That issue goes back to the 04 Malibu I had with the 3.5. Temp gauge went to zero, code PO116, replaced temp sensor under warranty, came back again and ignored.

Someone posted on another forum that it was a issue with module connection, can't recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Greenman,

No, I don't know the exact code, but I do recall him saying something about it being a code that was from back in the winter. I have about 66,000 miles on the car.

We got the shift linkage problem fixed, too, now. Whew - hope nothing else goes wrong!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
i'm having what i believe to be the same problem, about 3 days ago, the temp guage just went to 0 while i was driving, later that night after i got off work, the air didnt work, only 50k on this car, the air worked fine the day before, i already had a check engine light on but hadnt pulled the codes yet, was planning on doin that this afternoon, the thermostat is good i believe as the heater puts out pretty hot air, and even if i rev the car to 3k and hold it there for a while the temp gauge never moves. my question is, where is this sensor(s) located, how would i go about testing it? and is there a separate sensor for the computer and one for the gauge, is is it one sensor for all, i'm trying to help my buddy out, hes loaning me his car for 4 weeks while hes out of town and would be cool if he could come back to a fixed car as hes not charging me to use it, any help would be appreciated.

btw, 06 3.9

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
i'm having what i believe to be the same problem, about 3 days ago, the temp guage just went to 0 while i was driving, later that night after i got off work, the air didnt work, only 50k on this car, the air worked fine the day before, i already had a check engine light on but hadnt pulled the codes yet, was planning on doin that this afternoon, the thermostat is good i believe as the heater puts out pretty hot air, and even if i rev the car to 3k and hold it there for a while the temp gauge never moves. my question is, where is this sensor(s) located, how would i go about testing it? and is there a separate sensor for the computer and one for the gauge, is is it one sensor for all, i'm trying to help my buddy out, hes loaning me his car for 4 weeks while hes out of town and would be cool if he could come back to a fixed car as hes not charging me to use it, any help would be appreciated.

btw, 06 3.9
Please start a new topic with your issue. I'll wait to see what code/s you find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My experience

Hey all. I just wanted to add my experience with this issue. A couple of days ago the check engine light came on, the air conditioner stopped blowing cold air (but still would blow hot air) and the coolant temperature gauge would not rise. The OBD2 scanner threw a P0116 code "Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem". Also if the engine ever warmed up and I tried to start it hot it would have a hard time starting up. I assume that is because it registered the engine as being cold and was therefore was causing it to be too rich? After researching on this site (especially this thread) I decided to replace the engine coolant temperature sensor (was only about $10 and took 15 minutes to replace). That did the trick. I have attached a couple pictures indicating where the sensor is located on my 2008 3.5L. After removing the sensor clip I used a 3/4 inch deep well socket to remove it. I quickly replaced it as coolant started to leak out a little.

So if suddenly you CEL comes on, your temp gauge stops working and your AC stops working you, I would suggest you replace the ECT sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hey all. I just wanted to add my experience with this issue. A couple of days ago the check engine light came on, the air conditioner stopped blowing cold air (but still would blow hot air) and the coolant temperature gauge would not rise. The OBD2 scanner threw a P0116 code "Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Range/Performance Problem". Also if the engine ever warmed up and I tried to start it hot it would have a hard time starting up. I assume that is because it registered the engine as being cold and was therefore was causing it to be too rich? After researching on this site (especially this thread) I decided to replace the engine coolant temperature sensor (was only about $10 and took 15 minutes to replace). That did the trick. I have attached a couple pictures indicating where the sensor is located on my 2008 3.5L. After removing the sensor clip I used a 3/4 inch deep well socket to remove it. I quickly replaced it as coolant started to leak out a little.

So if suddenly you CEL comes on, your temp gauge stops working and your AC stops working you, I would suggest you replace the ECT sensor.
A 116 code is always either a bad ECT sensor or its wiring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I've continued to struggle off and on with this issue. I ended up buying a new electrical connector and spliced it in, seems to throw the code less often, but still every once in a while. Checked with the OBD scanner and thew code P0128 so I'll replace the thermostat and hope that fixes it. So strange that this has been an issue off and on the past year and a half.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Problem just started up again.
101,000 miles
new temp sensor @70,000
new thermostat @70,000
checked wiring (ohm out the harness with and without stress on it)

Are these sensors $*%t or what?
Haven't put another one in yet.

Anyone ever found a permanent solution yet.
I never heard if the owner who got an ECM flash helped or not.
Y'all no the car I own hasn't been treated well by the previous.
But, I know how to take care of my own.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Problem just started up again.
101,000 miles
new temp sensor @70,000
new thermostat @70,000
checked wiring (ohm out the harness with and without stress on it)

Are these sensors $*%t or what?
Haven't put another one in yet.

Anyone ever found a permanent solution yet.
I never heard if the owner who got an ECM flash helped or not.
Y'all no the car I own hasn't been treated well by the previous.
But, I know how to take care of my own.
so to clarify: u were getting a 116 code 31K ago & now it's back?

did u use an oem sensor & was anything used on the threads during install? Have u tried cleaning the harness connector electrical contacts because a little invisible corrosion buildup will modify the resistance in the circuit & change the temp reading by the ecm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Code 116 doesn't always throw. What happened then and now is temp Guage reading nothing, fans on high, then check engine flagged. Not sure if the code is my usual catalytic code that comes and goes, or if it's 116.
Pulled sensor and it reads resistance perfectly as it should.
I'm outta town for 3 weeks and wife was going to use it. I don't know now. This sucks.
Yes, I used contact cleaner on both ends,
Temp sensor was from Auto zone,
It had factory applied thread stuff. Which I cleaned off after checking it and put on Teflon tape.
Drove it out of town. Runs and drives fine

1 - 20 of 41 Posts