Pontiac G6 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
So does anyone have an update on this issue I am having the same issue with my temp gauge. 2008 G6 GT 3.9 Today it seemed to be working but running a little cold. That explains why when I turned on the air cond today it didn't seem to work. Sometimes my gauge does not work at all. Other times it runs cold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same issue recently. I have the 2006 GTP model with 110000+ miles. Temp gauge stopped working, engine light came on and fans constantly running. I changed the ECT sensor. No help. Checked all fuses. No help. Changed thermostat. Nothing. Decided to take it to my mechanic for a diagnotic check. They ran a diagnostic and found that they had to reset the computer ($107). It was the thermostat that was stuck open and not allowing the engine to reach running temp. So the car went into its "safe mode". After the reset the car is running great again. If anything changes, I will update my posting.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
by reset u mean they just erased the code. u could of done that yourself by briefly disconnecting the car battery. or buy a code reader for under 20 bucks to read/erase codes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my 09 G6 with 3.5 L V6. I would like to change the thermostat myself, however I hear you have to pull the pass side headlight, and that is a nightmare in itself. Can you get to it by jacking up the car? I would like to keep that $300.00 repair bill to the bare minimum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Temp gauge problem

Seems like alot of people are having the same problems as i am, their temp gauge not working or working when it wants to.
I have A 2008 G6 GT 4 door and my gauge had been acting up for some time. I went to the dealer when it first happened and asked what may be the problem, well they told me it could be alot of things and one of those things was the temp sensor, So i went and bought one and put it in, after a few weeks i started having the same problem, no temp gauge working, so i bought another sensor, well yet again same problem. went back to the dealer just the other day and they told me that they would have to check it out, told me that they didnt know how long it would take but the fee would start out around 125.00 and go up the longer it took.... i said screw it and just went and bought a new thermostat tonight.
My engine light would come on along with the fans at high speed but the car seemed to still run like it did, whether it went into limp mode or what i dont know but everything seemed to work ok.

well i was reading a post somewhere on here from someone that replaced their thermostat and it fixed the problem so i replaced mine. I found it easy to work on when i took the passenger headlight assembly out, it was a pain but once the light was out, i had the room to work on it.
I didnt take the hose off of the housing, i just unloosened the 2 bolts with a 10 mm socket for the top bolt and a 10 mm wrench for the bottom.
i put a pan under the car to catch the antifreeze and let most of it drain out.
It took me about 30-45 mins to put the new thermostat in after i cleaned up the gunk where the thermostat sits and put everything back together, filled the antifreeze back up and ran the car, the gauge seemed to work just fine and i noticed the car seemed to run alot smoother, so i dont know if that fixed the problem. BTW i did buy a gasket for the housing but didnt use it, when i first took off the housing to get to the thermostat, there wasnt a seal or gasket so i really dont think you need one, just snug up the bolts and check for leaks, do not over tighten the bolts. This was my first new thermostat since i got the car back in '08. yes really!
i will let you guys know if my problem is fixed.

Also i didnt replace the hardness or plug that plugs into the sensor, i think that may be ok..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 g6. The temperature gauge does not rise after turning on the car and the a/c only blows hot air. I have taken it to different mechanics but each of them gives me different answers. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got the car back from the dealership. Come to find out, the problem had nothing to do with the engine cooling system at all. Like I said before, there was not a CEL on. They hooked the car up to the Tech 2 and it gave them code P0116. The problem was actually the Mass Air Flow Sensor connector. $304.00 later and they replaced it and the car is running better than it ever has. I have been having some idling problems where it seems like it's running rough when I was stopped, but I figured that had something to do with whatever was making the engine run in safe mode. So, even though you may have a temp gauge that doesn't work, it could be something totally different that is causing it to go into the engine protection mode. I hope this will help out some of y'all in the future.
I replace the mass air flow connector and it still the same. That didn't fix the problem. Before I replace the temp sensor, replace the termostate, I replace the reservoir tank cap, replace the coolant(flush). Any idea or anybody who fixed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi from England

The temp sensor works when it open cct's and the fan will run. If you have changed the sensor and the fan is running all the time, look for an open cct on the cable from the sensor.

2008 GT G6 3.5 in Wisconsin KIA CEED 16 CRDI in UK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally I found the problem and I want to share the solution. I was going crazy with this issue. I replaced thermostate twice. I replaced the coolant temperature sensor twice. I replaced the mass air flow connector. I replaced the ECU and nothing. Finally. I replaced the thermostate but I put the original Acdelco thermostate that I bought from the dealer, and now everything works great. I hope everybody with this problem can fix their cars. Good luck, and sorry for my English I’m learning yet

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same issue recently. I have the 2006 GTP model with 110000+ miles. Temp gauge stopped working, engine light came on and fans constantly running. I changed the ECT sensor. No help. Checked all fuses. No help. Changed thermostat. Nothing. Decided to take it to my mechanic for a diagnotic check. They ran a diagnostic and found that they had to reset the computer ($107). It was the thermostat that was stuck open and not allowing the engine to reach running temp. So the car went into its "safe mode". After the reset the car is running great again. If anything changes, I will update my posting.
Do you still own this car? And what other problems do you or did you have? I own the same car and am having issues with the temp gauge among other things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For everyone who is having a problem with your temp gauge, I had the same problem and I seemed to fix the problem.. I have a Pontiac G6 GT 4 door with 277,486 miles on it.. anyway what you have to do which worked for me is to replace the coolant sensor and the thermostat or you can try just changing the thermostat. I did both and it seemed to fix the problem. This problem happened to me over a year ago and I haven't had a problem since.
Let me know how you all made out..

21 - 33 of 33 Posts