Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 G6 3.5 temp gauge wasn't working, replaced etc sensor and gauge worked for a day then quit again. Any advice would be helpful! Going to try thermostat replacement NEXT?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would check the wire connections inside the plastic harness connector. Probably not making a good contact to the sensor.

·
08 convertible
208 Posts
Do not replace thermostat unless you're sure it's defective. It's a lot of wasted work if it isn't. If the gauge NEVER comes up from zero, it's not the thermostat.
With a thermostat stuck open it will take a long time but the engine will eventually come up to temperature so the gauge will eventually go up. You can speed it up by driving the car or blocking the grille.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
I'm with rebel65, you probably have a bad connection - loose or damaged wire in the connector at the ECT. Handling the connector during the ECT replacement probably got it re-connected temporarily. So inspect it closely. Pull back the loom and and rubber sheath below to get a good look at the wires going into the connector.

Worst case, you can get replacement connectors with wires attached (ie, pigtails) and swap them in for the last few inches going to the sensor. Check Rockauto, most parts stores, and eBay as well.

BTW, dxG6 is dead nuts on - no need to touch the thermostat.

Doug

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this issue with mine and it was the thermostat. It was an easy fix, but draining the coolant isn’t fun. It’s easy though. There is a petcock type valve on ten radiator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No, I did not. My symptoms were that my temp gauge was all the way at the lowest setting and that my AC didn’t work.

The gauge would go high and then back to low when I turned the key.

·
4,054 Posts
I have an 07 Malibu with the same problems. I’ve come to believe it’s the ECM. When your ac isn’t working try disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds and see if it resets. If that works it rules out the thermostat being stuck open. And I’ve changed out thermostats and temp sensors a few times and it’s only a temporary fix.
Good luck and let us know if you find anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts