Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has had to remove their radio yet... I'll be installing an FM Modulator to use with some Satellite radio service and need to access the antennea connection on the back of the radio... I haven't looked at it real good yet, but I am wondering on the level of difficulty of removing the current rado to gain access to the wiring behind it...

Can anyone give me any advice?

Any idea how much of the Dash I will need to take apart to complete this process?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I posted on another forum about how much has to come off on the new Malibu and it is considerable. The G6 which has a similar instrument panel will require about the same.

The only thing I was trying to remember if someone figured out they didn't need to go thru all my steps by being able to reach up and do what they needed without removing the radio. So anyways I will give you the details below but it may not be the easiest way.

Of course you are doing all this at your own risk in terms of causing some kind of squeak/rattle after you get it all back together.
=================
The IP is layered and so requires removal of a little more than you would expect. It isn't that hard, just takes a little longer. You will likely be sweating by the time you are done.

I would recommend you have a battery powered drill with 7 mm driver to speed things up. You might need a universal joint or flexible shaft on drill to reach a couple of the screws.

You will need to first remove both lower hush panels on driver side and passenger side. The driver side might have a clip going into it from the hood release cable. The passenger side may be attached to a wiring harness and will need to be guided back into HVAC duct when reinstalling which is a bit tricky.

I think you might have to remove some small trim panels on each side. One on driver side contains dimmer switch, adjust pedal switch, etc. The one on right side is just a trim panel.

Also remove the trim panel below ignition switch with the little key rest pad on it. There is a screw beneath it that needs removal. This might be a Malibu only thing.

Then pop off the end covers of IP (just snapped in) and remove the screws holding the driver "knee bolster" and glovebox. You will need to remove all of the remaining screws on these 2 things and then unsnap them from the IP. You will likely have to fold down the glovebox to access all the screws - just squeeze box together in back to allow it to flop down.

Then you can pull off the "center stack" trim plate. This is just snapped in. Start at the bottom clips first and work you way up.

Be careful not to yank off the top. The hazard switch wiring connector needs to be removed or just have someone hold this trim plate up while you get at the radio (or you may be able to hold it up using the rear view mirror).

Then take off screws for HVAC control head to drop it down out of the way and FINALLY you can remove screws from radio and pull it out (it will have an antenna connection and 1 or 2 connectors going to it).

Congratulations, you have now disassembled about half of the IP of the vehicle.

Remember when putting radio back in to line up the plastic bullet into IP which helps secure the radio.

I can probably give you more details if required on any particular part but I know once you start you are going to have to finish the job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really makes you wonder why the car makers make it so difficult to get to the radio anymore... anyone remember the good old days when you could just remove a trim ring and then remove four screws and the radio would come right out?

I wish that were the case now!

·
Registered
279 Posts
They are trying to make it look nicer, although I agree this is is a little much to have to disassemble.

But keep in mind I was pretty detailed on what you need to do, that is why it was so long

1 - 4 of 4 Posts