Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, I would like to apologize for my awful english since English is not my first language.
Secondly, i appreciate so much if you can read my topic and help me out.

The following is my issue.
So, i have a 2005 pontiac G6 v6 3.5L.
I've been noticing that my temperature indicator on my dashboard always stays around 200F shorly after i start up the car. At the very beginning, it is usually 110-120F but will be soon around 200. But, that seems not a big deal.
Until today, i had my car parked near a bank with the engine running for about 30 minutes. (The transmission was put on P)
Then the temperature indicator became staying on 260F which is the maximum of my temperature gauge and i was so scared.
Meanwhile, there was a yellow engine icon staying on my dashboard.
But, the weird thing was i didn't see any steam coming out from my hood.
Later i drove my car back to my dorm then i opened the hood, but i didn't feel it was unusually hot.
So, I had my car cooled down for about an hour and restarted it. This time, i saw the indicator stay around 200F again as usual but the yellow engine icon still stayed on my dashboard.
I am really confused by this.
Do you guys have any suggestions or opinions?
I wonder if this is a problem with my engine or just the temperature sensor?
Thanks a lot for help.

· Registered
112 Posts
Do you have leaking coolant? Did you check the levels? Do you smell anything sweet or see fluid under your car if it sits for a while? If you turn the heat up high does the temp drop? Does it get hotter if you are in traffic or stationary rather than moving faster?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Do you have leaking coolant? Did you check the levels? Do you smell anything sweet or see fluid under your car if it sits for a while? If you turn the heat up high does the temp drop? Does it get hotter if you are in traffic or stationary rather than moving faster?

thank you so much for help.
Befor i answer your questions, i went to check my car again.
As you said, i saw some fluid under my car after i moved it a little bit but i usually dont smell anything sweet.
I don't actullay understand what "level" means.
Plus, another thing i noticed was there was no longer a yellow engine icon on my dashboard.
I didn't do anything about the heat so i can't really answer this.
For you last question, i think the temperature gets hotter in traffic or stationary rather than moving fast and stably.

· Registered
287 Posts
Before you start your car, open the coolant reservoir. Start the car and let it idle. Turn on the AC full blast, this will put a load on the engine so it can heat up.

Get a temp thermometer for meat...yes meat maybe you wife of friend has one.

When the temp goes up the coolant reservoir should be cycling coolant. put the thermometer in the coolant and see if it is close to the temp that is on the gauge in your car.

Also, when you turn the AC on the fan on the radiator should kick on directly.

If your fan never kicks on and the temp on the gauge says it is 200 and the temp on the meat thermometer is close to gauge temp, you may have a bad fan or fan relay.

If the fan comes on and the temp from the meat thermometer is not the same or close to the same as the gauge then you may have bad gauge...that is if the thermometer shows a much cooler temp than the gauge.

If the reservoir starts boiling over turn the car off your engine is over heating.

If you are stopped the temp rises. If you rev the engine to say 3000 RPM, does the temp immediately go down? If so you most likely have a bad water pump.

If the reservoir starts boiling over turn the car off your engine is over heating.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you start your car, open the coolant reservoir. Start the car and let it idle. Turn on the AC full blast, this will put a load on the engine so it can heat up.

Get a temp thermometer for meat...yes meat maybe you wife of friend has one.

When the temp goes up the coolant reservoir should be cycling coolant. put the thermometer in the coolant and see if it is close to the temp that is on the gauge in your car.

Also, when you turn the AC on the fan on the radiator should kick on directly.

If your fan never kicks on and the temp on the gauge says it is 200 and the temp on the meat thermometer is close to gauge temp, you may have a bad fan or fan relay.

If the fan comes on and the temp from the meat thermometer is not the same or close to the same as the gauge then you may have bad gauge...that is if the thermometer shows a much cooler temp than the gauge.

If you are stopped the temp rises. If you rev the engine to say 3000 RPM, does the temp immediately go down? If so you most likely have a bad water pump.

My appreciation, dude.
I am pretty sure your suggestions will be very helpful despite the fact that i dont fully understand it.
I will ask one of my friends who is good at car with your questions tomorrow.
So far, i personally think there is a leakage from my car because i saw some fluid on the ground.

· Registered
287 Posts
Should have a coolant low level indication on DIC. If it is leaking a bit you may want to look at the water pump. It will have a little hole near the the pulley. If it is leaking from there then your water pump is bad. Your coolant would have to be very low for the temp to go to 200+

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should have a coolant low level indication on DIC. If it is leaking a bit you may want to look at the water pump. It will have a little hole near the the pulley. If it is leaking from there then your water pump is bad. Your coolant would have to be very low for the temp to go to 200+
Thanks, i did see "coolant low" message on my screen once so i added some DEX COOL to the tank and the message was no longer remaining.
But today I didn't see any "coolant low" message.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.