Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally had the opportunity to drive a 6-speed and it is WAY better than I imagined. The clutch had a good engagement point and I only stalled it once (only because I accidentally had it in 3rd gear). And when it stalled, it didn't jump all over, it just died. After I put it into the correct gear, it worked perfectly :D

I posted an inquiry somewhere about a short throw shifter for the car, if one would be available. There's no need for one! The throw is perfect (for my tastes anyways). I was easily able to row through gears, but I noticed everytime I shifted to 3rd, there was a very noticeable clunk noise and you can feel the shifter vibrate when it made the noise...makes me very uneasy. Hopefully it'll run and the noise will be just a normal one.

Acceleration was DAMN quick...I was going 70 in a 55 before I knew it (also because the car is so quiet). I also noticed that when I was driving, I kept leaving it into 5th, forgetting that there was another gear. It wasn't needed, in town and even when I was booking along on the highway, the engine was quite and barely over 2000 rpms. The EPA mileage rating for highway is also different, and has been changed from 26 (in the brochure) to 29...pretty good I think.

·
Registered
488 Posts
sounds nice, based on how it felt could you give an estimate of what the 0-60 time may be? I still haven't done a run in my automatic, but I think it's somewhere in the low 7s, possibly high 6s.

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
e2helper said:
To remove ignition key on manual you have to put shifter in reverse
Yes I forgot to mention that too...In my Focus, I always put it into reverse, and today after the test drive I didn't and I was like "WTF! I can't get the key out!" And then Matt read the directions :D At least I made a fool of myself other than the car I ordered!

It was hard to say what a good 0-60 time would be, but that thing flew...I'm guessing 7.1 or so? :confused:

·
Registered
488 Posts
yea? On Pontiac's website they list a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds, but they don't say if it's for the stick or automatic. They make is seem like that's the auto's time because of how they describe the auto transmission and engine in the Drivetrain section with that 360 degree view.

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where's it say 6.6sec? I was browsing last night and didn't see it, unless its under specs, in which I haven't looked at in over a month.

·
Registered
488 Posts
When you go to Pontiac's site, click G6 and select the coupe, then that 3D model of the G6 appears, and under it you can select 4 things: Exterior, Body Construction, Interior, Drivetrain. Click Drivetrain, then click on the red '+' that says 3.9L V6 Engine and it tells you the 0-60.

Mike

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, okay.

Good find. I knew the plusses were there, just didn't realize they were linked to a seperate page...thought that they were just pointing this out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never noticed 'til today...it states 6.6 seconds in the 2006 sales brochure that I made avaialble to everyone too...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude, your black GTP looks awesome. I would get one the same color, but my current car is black, and I need some change. I'm thinking of lectric blue. The only problem is that I'm from Puerto Rico and the coupes are comming here in October (don't know why so late), DANM I can't wait!!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, just to let you know, they aren't that abundant here in the States yet either. And I'll tell you, even when they are, I think with this gas sh*! going on right now because of that b*tch Katrina, I think people aren't going to be buying much of anything...

It'll be worth the wait, I promise ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have chance this long weekend to drive GTP sedan with 6-speed and it is a blast!

I've driven the automatic before which was nice but the 6-speed puts big :) on my face

Same color are your coupe, MHadden, but your's will be even sweeter looking ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
e2helper said:
Nope, this one is a 4-door :) - but has the 6 speed

Good..wouldn't want to have to drive up there and take it off your hands :D

Mine better be here this week, dammit! I want it now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts