Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2006 Pontiac G6 2.4L Ecotec.

I know we have heard these a million times. I got on just to post this. I've been reading and reading from here but to no avail. So I just bought this car, unaware of the oil leak it appears to have. I'll try to keep it short.

The car is running fine, no overheating, no smoke in the exhaust. Does smoke after it heats up (I'm assuming from residual oil on something hot). I just changed the Valve cover seals today (thought oil was leaking from the valves down the block). Spark plugs were full of oil so it needed it anyway. Performace increased heavily, as well as throttle response. Yay! Fired it up and it had a puff of smoke come out of the engine and exhaust but did not continue and went away.

Went to test drive it and all looked good but when I got back I noticed it still smoked from the engine bay, backside mainly. Took the front passenger tire off and nearly all of the oil is on the passenger side. Not only that but looks like fresh oil from the top of the block right under where the valves start, and there is massive oil splatter on the drivetrain and extends under the card halfway down the back. Heavy oil on/around the starter, looks to be oil just on everything underneath the car, but none on the right side of the engine bay. Oil is low pretty quick. I took a lot of pictures, but have tried to troubleshoot. Not sure it's a head gasket issue, because there is no smoke except the residual smoke from oil hitting hot areas of the block, and no overheating at all.

Thinking it could be the crank seal, and maybe it's slinging oil everywhere, but the crack itself actually looks dry even though everything around it is covered in oil Any ideas at all? Pictures for reference. Again no overheating, no lagging in performance, and oddly it leaves no oil on the ground, nor can you see oil leaking while it is parked...like no drops at all while parked.

Thanks in advance.
20210523_172004.jpg 20210523_172132.jpg 20210523_172127.jpg 20210523_172110.jpg 20210523_172104.jpg 20210523_172036.jpg 20210523_172028.jpg 20210523_172013.jpg

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
23 Posts
Sounds like me and you have had the same problem. First which engine do you have? I bought a used 2008 G6 GXP with 75,000 miles on it two months ago, it’s the 3.6l engine. Thought I found a gem but turns out where the timing chain is on the right side of the engine there is a cover and it was leaking oil. Someone put marine sealer as a gasket so I was leaking oil from there. Did not know it was leaking because the motor mount was soaking it all up. Had to get it fixed at a shop. They had to take the whole engine apart and right side wheel well to get to everything. Motor mount had to be replaced as well. You might want to look in this area. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like me and you have had the same problem. First which engine do you have? I bought a used 2008 G6 GXP with 75,000 miles on it two months ago, it’s the 3.6l engine. Thought I found a gem but turns out where the timing chain is on the right side of the engine there is a cover and it was leaking oil. Someone put marine sealer as a gasket so I was leaking oil from there. Did not know it was leaking because the motor mount was soaking it all up. Had to get it fixed at a shop. They had to take the whole engine apart and right side wheel well to get to everything. Motor mount had to be replaced as well. You might want to look in this area. Let me know what you find out.
Ya didn't realize I didn't put the engine. This one is actually the 2.4l. Still not sure I can get to the timing cover without pulling the engine. You can access the Crankcase from the passenger wheel well. I know it has to be a seal somewhere because it is running very strong, so unlikely that it is an internal issue, but the way it is throwing oil around makes me think it is somewhere where there are moving parts. Even idling while sitting there is zero oil coming from anywhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a 2008 G6 with the 2.4l engine for 13 years bought brand new before I bought the GXP so I didn't have an oil leak but I know the Timing chain area with the water pump is accessible after removing the right tire and wheel well. I had the water pump changed on this car and it involved the timing chain so the cover had to be removed. very labor intensive job your oil leak has to be coming from there. I did have a leak from the upper valve cover that I had to replace as you did as well. I had brought it to the dealer at 160,000 miles to replace water pump and they messed up the timing so they had to replace the timing chain because it got nicked. It was running rough. Once they fixed that car started running smooth again. Just a quick note I replaced the original oil with synthetic oil when the car had 3,000 miles on it. That took me to 237,000 miles 13 years later. I gave the car to my nephew and it is still running great. So the timing chain has to off timing causing the rough idle. you need a very seasoned veteran mechanic to get your car back in shape.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 2008 G6 with the 2.4l engine for 13 years bought brand new before I bought the GXP so I didn't have an oil leak but I know the Timing chain area with the water pump is accessible after removing the right tire and wheel well. I had the water pump changed on this car and it involved the timing chain so the cover had to be removed. very labor intensive job your oil leak has to be coming from there. I did have a leak from the upper valve cover that I had to replace as you did as well. I had brought it to the dealer at 160,000 miles to replace water pump and they messed up the timing so they had to replace the timing chain because it got nicked. It was running rough. Once they fixed that car started running smooth again. Just a quick note I replaced the original oil with synthetic oil when the car had 3,000 miles on it. That took me to 237,000 miles 13 years later. I gave the car to my nephew and it is still running great. So the timing chain has to off timing causing the rough idle. you need a very seasoned veteran mechanic to get your car back in shape.
Yes, I've definitely checked the timing chain when I had the valve covers off yesterday. The top guide seemed to be good, and the chain seemed to look good and had a nice torque on it. there is no ticking or knocking coming from it. Just traded in my 2011 Ford Edge for the timing chain being screwed, so I will definitely notice when it starts to go bad, but from that perspective, I think it's good. Maybe a good time to look at it deep with the cover off, but it idles very nicely. It was slightly running rough before changing the valve seals but turns out the plug well seals were all cracked and filling up with oil. Once I fixed that and cleaned it up it was running strong with no delay, and a much better throttle response. Guess I will bust into the wheel well again today. May as well change the front main seal while I am there in the crankshaft. I'm at 150,000 miles currently but hear your timing chain is SUPPOSED to be designed to last the life of your motor.

·
Registered
23 Posts
150000 miles I am sure the water pump was replaced so there is a guide to line up the chain to the engine sequence. So if someone was in there they could of did a bad job. Either way check that area again but definitely coming from that side of the engine

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are you losing engine oil ? Are you sure that it's not grease from the axle shaft boot ? Photo 4 looks like the tie rod and boot are being sprayed. I think I would get some of that foam engine cleaner and wash that area. I'm not a fan of spraying water in the engine compartment. Cover the alternator. Once clean it should be pretty easy to see where the oil is coming from. By the way the water pump is driven by the balance shafts chain. I gather that regular oil changes are to key to keeping these engines running trouble free.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If this were my car I would take it to a do it yourself car wash and I would use an engine cleaner and clean off all the Motor Oil on the engine and surrounding areas. Then I would have a trouble light handy and a creeper. Put it on jack stands or a ramp. Run the engine with the Parking Brake applied and LOOK for Leaks! There is simply too much Oil all over everything to know where it is coming from...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts