Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surfing the web and came across this. I thought some of you may enjoy the read. Here's the link because the whole article was too long to paste it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Grand_Am

The Pontiac Grand Am was originally a mid-size car and later a compact car that was produced by the Pontiac division of General Motors. The Grand Am had two separate 3-year runs in the '70s: from 1973 to 1975 and again from 1978 to 1980. It was based on the GM A platform. Production of the Grand Am was canceled in 1980 when it was replaced by the Pontiac 6000. The Grand Am was reintroduced in 1985 when it replaced the Pontiac Phoenix. It was Pontiac's best selling car and later replaced by the Pontiac G6, so named as it was intended to be the 6th generation of the Grand Am.[1] Grand Ams were built between 1973 and 1985 in Pontiac, Michigan at Pontiac's main assembly plant and in Atlanta, Georgia at GMAD Lakewood. All Grand Ams between 1985 and 2005 were built in Lansing, Michigan at the Lansing Car Assembly

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
I thought it was funny how the name came from the Luxury of the Grand Prix and the Performance of the Trans Am...yeah right :rolleyes:

Although apparently there were good intentions to have a monster engine available that got nipped in the butt :eek:

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you see the first Grand AM (I started calling the "G1"), it was a monster! A V8 w/ only 180 HP, WOW that must have gas guzzler. The V8 with a four barrel carb would push the HP up to 230ish.

Here we are folks! The first generation 1973 Grand AM (G1).
It looks more like a Grand Prix to me.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1995 Grand AM SE Coupe. Forth gen Grand AM (G4)
I owned two of these, the SE and GT, wifie had the GT.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
2002 Grand AM. Fith gen Grand AM (G5)

I liked this one best of all the others but I never bought one. When it was time to buy one they were discontinued so we bought the G6. I didn't know at the time that this was called the G6 for 6 generation Grand AM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2002 Grand AM. Fith gen Grand AM (G5)

I liked this one best of all the others but I never bought one. When it was time to buy one they were discontinued so we bought the G6. I didn't know at the time that this was called the G6 for 6 generation Grand AM.

My brother has a Grand Am almost identical to that picture, except his is a 4-door. I believe its a 2002, and he still likes it a lot.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
only thing is.. What about the G5s running around now and isn't he Wave also known as a G3??
When the G6 first came on line it's name "G6" was intended to mean the six generation of Grand AMs. Since the G6 took off as a great seller GM decided to toss the idea and keep the G6 name separate from the Grand AM. So now the G6 is not a "six generation Grand AM" but its own car. No we are not driving a 6 gen Grand AM. We are driving the G6. In the eyes of GM the G6 has replaced the Grand AM. Its kind of an automotive evolution, the G6 is a result of the Grand AM in the same way birds are a result of dinosaurs.

I read this info a while back I'll find it again and post it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts