Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to change the thermostat on my wifes G6 GT with the 3.5 V6. I need yto know the exact location of the thermostat. I think it is on the hose coming from the radiator on the driver side of the eng directly under the intake. Am I right?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is the hose on the bottom of the passenger side of the radiator that is short and goes right into the bottom of the engine. There should be a housing the hose is connected to with two 10mm bolts on it when you take them off the thermostat will be in there. I just changed mine. If you have any questions let me know

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe with an open end 10mm wrench or deep 10mm socket. I had to change mine again and it is easier to remove the passenger headlight that way you have more room.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe with an open end 10mm wrench or deep 10mm socket. I had to change mine again and it is easier to remove the passenger headlight that way you have more room.

Removing the headlight does give plenty of access. Was able to use a universal socket to pop it loose. Thanks for the tip!

p.s. Removing the headlight is a job in itself. Grab a 16" or longer flathead to pop the ball & socket attachment inside the fender and add some grease to the ball before reassembling.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Ok....are you talking about the thermostat that regulates coolant or the one that displays the temp on your DIC?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The one that regulates coolant. My fans run constantly, because the thermostat doesn't allow the temperature of the engine to reach the desired level. I think I said that right. Anyways, I need to replace it, and was also wondering if driving it this way will do damage to the engine prior to getting it fixed.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Ive replaced mine twice. its right there under and forward of your TBI. Its easier if you remove your intake tube there. Two bolts and its in your hand. Easy cheesy. I took pix last time I did it but I dont know what I did with em. lol

I can snap more pix if you really need em....but follow the coolant hose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it's not too much trouble, I'd appreciate the pics. Not really a hands on type of guy, but if it's really as easy as you say, will give it a go. Also, will driving it cause further problems, prior to getting it replaced? Thx for the reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is something i'm gonna do in October, right before it starts to get cold here. It's usually one of the first things I do to any used car/truck I purchase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Going to raise this from the dead but do I need to completely drain my coolant to do this? I just did a coolant flush and fill last summer so it would be awesome if I didn't need to..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts