Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving to work this morning and my thermostat worked fine up until a couple miles down the road and went down to 0, and my a/c quit working. Ive read it could be Mass air flow sensor? bad temp gauge? temp gauge sensor? also my car jerks at acceleration. My only trustworthy mechanic was my father and he has passed away, CAN ANYONE HELP A young girl out?:laugh:

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
So I was driving to work this morning and my thermostat worked fine up until a couple miles down the road and went down to 0, and my a/c quit working. Ive read it could be Mass air flow sensor? bad temp gauge? temp gauge sensor? also my car jerks at acceleration. My only trustworthy mechanic was my father and he has passed away, CAN ANYONE HELP A young girl out?:laugh:
Your temp gauge quit working, not your thermostat. It could be several things, but I suggest taking it to a parts store and asking them to put their code scanner on it. It's likely either the temp sensor or the wiring to it. I suspect the AC cut out because the engine computer (PCM) shut it off as a protection measure because it detected the missing temp sensor signal.

Try getting some codes and post back.

Doug

·
Registered
91 Posts
What year is your G6 and how many kilometres on it? Also what's the engine size? The temperature sensor goes over time, but don't worry it's fairly cheap to fix and not time consuming. :) A little tricky since the work area's tight, but it's a job a novice can easily do.

When mine went last year it cost about $20 for a new one and took a few minutes to do with a bit of swearing to complete. Just like Doug said though, if you take your car or call around to find a parts store with a code reader they'll use it on your car for free. Once they pop it in to your car's computer slot - on the driver side to the left of the steering wheel about where your knee would rest while sitting - they'll get a code and we can help out from there. For the G6, the P0117 is the temperature sensor code.

Let us know what they find and we can go from there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts