Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned 3 grand ams none ever reached 100k before going to junk on me but I've always missed my pontiacs I'm car shopping right now and found a 08 g6 gt sedan 3.5 with 78k car looks and seems flawless it comes with a 5 yr 50k warranty. Are these cars dependable what are main problems if any. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Just like every car they have their faults. Things go out but aren't too serious. Does it have a sunroof? The panoramic ones tend to be problematic. And even the regular sunroofs leak due to slight problems with the draininge tubes... its generally an easy fix though.

There has been some corrosion issues here and there with a few G6s. Like headlight connectors and bcm connectors (causing brake light faults) though this doesn't seem to be too common and dielectric grease is a really useful product.

Some have had turn signal switch issues where it doesn't cancel. But its like $20 and pretty easy to replace.

Really I guess just take a good look at everything, look under the oil cap for any signs of sludge if possible. Hopefully the other fluids are pretty clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 g6 gt 60k on it and love the car. have no major problems so far knock on wood lol .

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a 2008 g6 gt 60k on it and love the car. have no major problems so far knock on wood lol .
Good Morning bob!

I am happy to hear that you love your 2008 G6. What do you love most about your vehicle? I am interested in your feedback. :)

Safe travels.

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service

·
Registered
3 Posts
gm

Good Morning bob!

I am happy to hear that you love your 2008 G6. What do you love most about your vehicle? I am interested in your feedback. :)

Safe travels.

Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service
well always been a gm guy. lol but for the most part like the looks and the handling of the car.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Love the G6. Had a 98 GP before it with almost 100k on it. Six currently has about 84k on it. Get it, and welcome to the club! ;-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Wind noise doesn't seem to bother me. I find the cabin very quiet and often crack my window so I can hear more road noise.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wind noise and road noise are quite high compared to other cars in its class. Even the Malibu which is a sister car is quieter than the G6.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I like the feedback. I find it harder to drive without it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've owned 3 grand ams none ever reached 100k before going to junk on me
That's maintenance.

My 2000 GASE2 is at 180k and going strong. Changed timing chain and tranny fluid/filter myself at 150k, change fuel filters every few years. It's needed a new fuel pressure regulator, new fuel pump (related to the FPR problem), new throttle position sensor, and a few sets of front wheel bearings and tie rods, but that's it in 13 years (aside from bulbs, breaks, and other routine stuff).

At 150k I did the math using all of my garage receipts and part receipts (when I did the jobs myself) and found that the total cost of ownership over 11 years was around $85/month. The only time I've ever done better was with a beater neon I bought for 900 and sold 3 years later for 700... which ended up costing me around $20/mo.

I'm convinced my embarrassment from the body rust will take it to the junkyard, not mechanical failure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
More about wind noise

I wanted to be clear, that what i meant was the design of the window/door is such that at speeds over 80mph a high pitched whine occurs. It seems to me a design flaw of the door/window system.
My guess is air pressure going over the car is greater than whats in the car and the weak spots in the rubber trim yield a little bit creating the whine.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
You may have some worn seals or a mis-aligned door then. I often cruise faster than 80 MPH and don't hear any loud whine. All I hear is the wind rushing over the car, same as it sounds in every other car I've gone quite fast in.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Agreed. I find the noise level lower in the g6 than others I have driven. Passengers have even commented to me about how quiet the cabin is. Well, at least before I modded the exhaust ;-)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
20 Posts
You may have some worn seals or a mis-aligned door then. I often cruise faster than 80 MPH and don't hear any loud whine. All I hear is the wind rushing over the car, same as it sounds in every other car I've gone quite fast in.
That's wonderful for you. I think you own a sedan from your pics.

TS- A concern you might have is wind noise at prolonged high speeds. Since there are no new G6's the door seals might be a little weak after all these years. Personally i think its a design flaw. Take a look at the where the window meets the door on a coupe and you'll see what i'm talking about. The sedans have a different construction and are most likely not affected by this issue. ie its just glass resting against the rubber to seal the door.
Coupe door

Sedan door

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Same here. Sorry for the confusion. FWIW, My wife has a coupe and I have not noticed that wind noise is an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I found your other threat throttle, it seems a few coupe owners do experience a noise issue at speed.
IIRC the weather stripping is like a tube where it's hollow in the center. Maybe stuffing something inside it would help stiffen it and create a tighter seal? Or maybe just replace it with an aftermarket seal that has a filled core vs open.

Like instead of this:

Use something like this:

There are a lot of different designs out there, but maybe you just need more pressure between the seal and window to really seal it shut so the wind can't push it's wait through and ruin your drive.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts