Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my 2009 G6 GT since October, so almost 5 months and I want to write a review so that people who are looking at these cars can see what I am experiencing. Let me start out by saying that this will be the last American car that I ever own, the G6 is just so cheap feeling, it seems that GM cut every corner they could to save a buck in this car. I have been fighting noises since I bought the car, my rear shocks are clunking away when I go over the slightest bumps, I had this obnoxious squeaking which ended up being the e-brake cable bracket. Luckily I have hydraulic steering and never got the infamous clunking when steering. Mind you this car is a 2009 with just over 61,000 miles on it... this is ridicules. I work on cars for a living and after having seeing everyone else's issues with the G6 I will be more then happy to trade it in....That leads me to my next point, good luck selling it. The resale on these cars is atrocious...

Just a heads up if you are looking at a G6.... I will stick with my Honda's from now on. :):beer:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I've got a 2009 with just over 62k on it. I've owned this car since brand new and frankly I love it. Sure its a bit noisy but aside from that I really havent experienced many issues. GM has never let me down. But I guess its all in how you take care of it and drive it.
To each their own.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The steering clunk has to do with the intermediate shaft which all G6s have regardless which steering system it came with, electric or hydraulic. So if yours didn't clunk consider yourself lucky. Mine was re-lubed 3 times.

The G6 I agree probably isn't a high quality product. But the 2008+ Malibu which is basically its twin is a much improved car. For about the same price GM didn't cut corners with the Malibu. It's no secret that GM didn't love Pontiac and drove it to the ground.

The G6 does have one thing going for it...styling. It's still one of the most beautiful cars in the industry after almost 10 years.

There are plenty of American cars that are well made as well as some that are lemons. Sames goes with any other European or Asian manufacturer.

Resale value sucks but it's improving. So if you bought one used you are laughing. The thousands you would have saved from buying it rather than a Honda will more than make up for any deficiencies you may think you have.

Many Honda models are made in America using American parts and labor. If you know cars you will know that a Honda can be just as American or even moreso than a Chevrolet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take care of my vehicles cruising6... trust me. I work in the field, as I see you do also so you know these cars are pretty common to have problems...

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Oh I didn't mean to imply that you don't. More or less that the previous owner may have been more careless with it. But regardless it is obvious GM cut corners here n there

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got ya crusing6, just was throwing it out there that I am not haha :p Yeah GM did but then again, this isn't a Cadillac so I guess we had to expect some corners to be cut lol

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Honestly the moist annoying thing I really hate is the bouncing headlights as I go over bumps. Looks really cheap IMO

·
Registered
8 Posts
39 year old noob here. :O)
I put 6K HID's in my '09 Base 4D ATX and I thought the bounce in the headlights was cuz of the HID bulbs themselves. I've learned plenty from this site, and as far nickPontiac09's statement about the "cheapness" of the G6, I can't disagree. But I do so with some regret.
I've been a Nissan guy for 15 years, previous to the past 2 years. The last 2 years I've had the G6. Bought it with 32K miles. Within the first month, the GM dealer replaced a recalled part that was located underneath the shifter, plus I asked them to replace the stock CD/radio cuz the buttons were peeling. The radio was replaced for free since I was still within the warranty. And the car ended up having a power window switch that didn't work. And a trunk light switch. Both were fixed for free too. At month 4, the left front wheel bearing and the front right strut were replaced since both were ironically failing at the same time....at 36,400 miles....just out of warranty. Month 6, master cylinder started leaking. Replaced it. Month 7, rear sway bar link broke. Rusted. However, $1,000+ in repairs later, I am actually very happy.
The G6 (IMO) is a well-rounded car that can be a good time if you put a little into it. I started going thru a mid-life crisis or something....so I researched everything G6 online...then I bought a CAI, Falken PT722's, and a front strut tower brace, small trunk lip/spoiler, nice aftermarket HU and all new speakers, and pimped the interior and trunk with blue and white LED's. Like I said....I'm 39....and this car makes kids half my age freak out. I'm like "whatever"...but lots of people like these cars. Plus, the tiny inexpensive upgrades I've done have made a noticable difference visually and in handling especially. "Give the G6 a chance" I say.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
If you look at where GM didn't spend money, and then where they did you do find some nice perks. I'm a very detail oriented person. And I personally really like the little things, like the turn signals completing the signal before turning off. Not just shutting off all suddenly. And how the brake lights have a minimum light up time. So even if you just tap the brakes it doesn't seem that way. I can go on and on.

Sure some parts may need replacing but thats owning a car these days. They definitely don't build em like they used to, but that's both a good and a bad thing. What we loose in quality and refinement they make up with safety and extra options. They gotta keep the price competitive some how.

Regardless for a mid sized vehicle you do have room for improvement and customizing which is always a big plus.
I would have to agree in saying give a G6 a chance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My G6 isn't perfect and there are obvious corner-cutting but overall it's light-years ahead of anything GM made in the past.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Agreed that there may be some inherent problems with the G6, but that’s to be expected with any car they all have their flaws. A lot has to deal with how the previous owner mantained and abused their car. Atleast there is some aftermarket options available for the sub par OEM parts...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea. Though I must be lucky. No EPS issues even with some aggressive driving... but I guess its just a matter of time really haha
It seems the earlier models 2005, 2006 and some 07's have the most EPS issues, but the steering is smooth.... until the module takes a dump lol:cool:

·
Registered
638 Posts
ive had/have 3 G6s an 08 GT sedan first and the 2 i currently have are both 09 GXP coupes one bought brand new one bought with 3k milesive had absolutely ZERO problems with either of my GXPs except the connector on the wheel speed senso going bad on my black one, which the dealers completely screwed up a LOTof stuff over that, i took it to them to diagnose the ABS light, they incorectly diagnosed it and said it was the hub sensor, i replaced and it didnt fix it so i took it back and complained about their incorrect diagnosis and that GXP came back with a LOT of problems after going to the dealer

my gray GT i bought used with 24k and was nothing but problems after its first visit to a dealer........ i also have had an 08 jetta wolfsburg i got used

long story short, EVERY used car ive bought has been nothing but problems, every new car ive bought has be absolutely problem free, so id have to say that more often than not its more of a case in how the previous owner took car of and drove it than the car being a piece of junk or not

i for one wont ever buy a used car if its got more then like 5k miles on it again so long as i an afford it

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think its safe to say no one trusts dealers working on their cars. I know I dont
ya my car NEVER goes to the dealer for anything......or any other shop for that matter...... but you dont have much of a choice if you need tech 2..... i guess ill just have to pony up 3k and buy myself a GM tech 2 :(

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I only go for warranty work. And I still hate it. I make it abundantly clear that if they mess it up. I'll mess them up. A tech II would be a sweet tool to have. But for the money I could add lots of power. Or bags. Or nice wheels ha

But I too do all my own work. The only thing I don't is alignments and tire mounting/balancing don't have the equipment for that haha. Lift time is tough to come by sometimes too ha.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I only go for warranty work. And I still hate it. I make it abundantly clear that if they mess it up. I'll mess them up. A tech II would be a sweet tool to have. But for the money I could add lots of power. Or bags. Or nice wheels ha

But I too do all my own work. The only thing I don't is alignments and tire mounting/balancing don't have the equipment for that haha. Lift time is tough to come by sometimes too ha.
i dont even go there for warranty work, ill replace whatevers bad myself out of my own pocket before i even take it in for warranty work.....

like the spun rod bearing i had at 36k.... its less of a headache for me to just go get a 3.6 engine that has 10 miles on it for $1200 and replace it in 15hrs than let the dealership take 3 weeks to "rebuild" the one that spun the bearing and 99.99% chance they screw it and other things besides what was actually the problem up...... the last time my black one went for warranty work (when it had like 1k miles on it cuz the XM module apparently was never programmed at the factory) they decided to " be nice and rotate my tires that were brand new only 1k miles on the car and didnt need rotateing" they striped out 6 studs to thew point the lugs wouldnt come off and i actually had to TIGHTEN them till the studs sheared off and replace the studs.......

so ya id much rather spend 3k on a tech 2 and do everything myself than have to go to a dealership thats gonna screw the car up just cuz they have a tool i need..... i already have the $4k HFV6 specific engine tool kit lol might as well add the tech 2, a lift and tire mount and balence equipment to the list when i build my shop...... id use them enough to justify owning them lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts